Chapter 40

Everyone got off the RV and I looked up at their walls, they were high and looked strong. We followed Jesus to the gates and I quickly grabbed my gun when I saw a man pointing a spear down at us. "It's us," Jesus yelled. "Freddie's hurt, these are good people just open the gates." I looked at the
man behind me, who looked unwell.

The guard opened the gates and I saw a mansion of some sort in the middle of this town, then there were trailers that lined the one wall. "This way." Jesus led us towards the mansion. I walked in amazed at how large it was inside. "Jesus, you're back." An older man wearing a suit smiled. "And you've brought guests." Dad stepped up, "we're from another community.." The man held up his hand, "go get cleaned up and then we can speak." I glared at the man, "We're fine." Dad spat. He nodded, "My names Gregory, trust me you'll all feel better once you've gotten cleaned up. Jesus show them where they can wash up."

Hesitantly Jesus led us up the staircase leading us to separate bathrooms. Michonne stood outside taking watch and Maggie and I went into the one. "I heard about this morning," she smiled. "Seems like everybody has." Maggie nodded, "I had a stepmom, I'll admit it's hard to adjust. But I thought of her as a bonus." I sighed, "she's not a mom to me, it's just weird. Dad, Carl and her are all so close and I'm not." Maggie agreed, "you will be." I smiled, "I don't think I'm too close with many people." She nodded, "I get that. You were out there with all of us, it's hard to trust people." I bit my lip, "you're right."

"You ready?" Maggie asked opening the door. She went downstairs immediately going to talk to Gregory and I waited with Michonne in the hallway, while everyone else finished. "You know I'd never try to be a mom to you or Carl." I nodded, "you heard our conversation?" She gave me a small smile, "I know I took you by surprise, but they're your family and I wouldn't take that away from anyone." I sighed, "I know that." She nudged me, "you and Carl were my favourite kids I'd met since the end. You're not kids anymore but even at the beginning you were both so strong." I smiled, "thanks." Michonne nodded, "I hope this means I can borrow some of your toothpaste tonight." I shrugged, "I'll think about it." We both laughed and I turned as Dad walked out with Glenn, Abraham and Daryl.

By the time we made our way down the stairs Maggie was leaving his office. "He's adamant he doesn't need anything from us." I heard screaming from downstairs. Three people ran up to the mansion. "Was our load light?" The taller one asked Gregory. He shook his head, "No." The other man scoffed, "they said they'll keep Craig alive if I deliver a message." The man stepped forward stabbing a knife into Gregory. Instantly Dad jumped forward pushing him off. I watched as he punched the man several times, before the man flipped over on top of Dad holding a knife up to his throat. Quickly I grabbed my gun pointing it at the mans head, "drop it," I whispered. He turned to look at me and as he was distracted, Daryl quickly stabbed his neck.

I watched blood stream down pooling on top of dad as he held the man away from his head. Dad threw the man off of him standing up. The girl with that man lunged forward knocking my dad down again. I immediately lunged forward hitting her with the back of my gun as Michonne pushed her down, "don't."

I held my gun up as two more men holding spears came towards us. "Drop the guns," they ordered. I kept my eyes locked with theirs, and Dad scoffed, "I don't think we will." Jesus jumped in between us, "that's enough." I pushed my gun back into my pocket following our group as we were led back into their mansion. I eyed two people helping Gregory up towards the infirmary, he looked as though he was still breathing.

Jesus shut the door behind us and I made my way over to the window. I saw the man Dad had killed still on the ground, and the other girl, who must've been dating him crying over his body. I stepped back as Daryl ripped the curtains back so I could no longer see. "Tell us about this Negan guy. The one who told that man to stab Gregory." Jesus sighed, "he has a group, they call themselves the saviours. Once they discovered we were here they made a lot of demands and threats. Even killed one of us, this was someone about Leahs age. Beat him to death, made us all watch. Just to get the message across up front." I looked down at my feet ignoring everyone's eyes as they looked over towards me. "Gregory took their deal, we give the saviours half of everything, in return they don't kill us." Dad nodded, "how many of them are there?" Jesus shrugged, "we don't know." Daryl then stepped up, "they show up kill a kid, and you give them half of everything. These guys just have a good story. We'll do it, we go kill those men, you hook us up, food medicine and one of those cows." Jesus nodded, "I'll take it to Gregory."