Chapter 110

I began working on a fire as they all worked their way up. "How are we doing on food?" Aaron asked. Jerry sighed, "not great." This made Kelly throw her hands up, "how long we planning on being down here?" Jerry gave her a small smile, "don't worry the walkers got in here somehow, we'll get out." I looked around, "we have to assume we're not alone."

I turned to Carol who was breathing heavily, "I'm fine, just a little winded." Daryl nodded, "she's claustrophobic." Magna stared at Carol, "why didn't you think of that before you got us all trapped down here?" Aaron shrugged, "it's not the time for this." Magna crossed her arms, "why not, we got plenty of it now. What the hell were you thinking running off by yourself like that?"

Daryl looked at us, "we ain't got time for this shit. We got in this mess together, we're getting out of it together. Follow me, I think I found a way out." I took a deep breath myself, I was scared there wasn't any denying that, but I was also determined to get the hell out of here. I wanted to get back, I wanted to live. I didn't want Judith and RJ to have to live through the death of their older sister. Not at that age.

Daryls path didn't lead us anywhere, I almost screamed out loud when we came to another dead end. I sat down against the wall as everyone else did to try and rest but I kept my distance a bit. "Hey." Daryl whispered sitting down beside me. "You don't look good." I bit my lip, "I cant stop thinking about dying down here. In a cave. They'll never find us. No one will know what happened." He shook his head, "you can't think like that." I put my head in my hands, "I don't see a way out of this cave that doesn't end up with at least a few of us dead. I'm fucking scared." He met my eyes, "you gotta know by now I ain't letting anything happen to you." I pointed at the cave around us, "somethings are just out of your control." We stopped talking as Magna approached, "Can I borrow the matches." I tossed them to her and Daryl shook his head, "take it easy, like the rest of us." She shook her head, "I can't. I need to do something."

Carol walked over to us as Magna left. "I never told you I was claustrophobic." Daryl shrugged, "if I only knew what you told me I wouldn't know nothing at all. It's bad enough I have to worry about Aaron with that skin freak, now I can't even turn my back on you anytime we go outside." Carol sighed, "I'm sorry." Daryl just shook his head, "I begged you to talk to me. I don't know what to do anymore." Carol bit her lip, "I cant stop thinking about it, Henry. I know I have to but I can't. I don't wanna just kill Alpha, I want to hurt her, I want her to beg for forgiveness, and then I want to kill her." Daryl nodded, "after all the shit we've been through, I'd feel the same way. Unless you, or Leah tried to stop me. You gotta quit all this, you gotta. People you care about are starting to get hurt." Carol leaned forward looking at me, "I didn't mean for this to happen, I know I have to."

Daryl met her eyes, "you gotta stop bullshitting me, I gotta know we're on the same team. We fight for our future not revenge." She sighed, "I promise." This made me close my eyes and lean my head back against the stone wall. "We're the only ones left," I whispered. Daryl turned to me, "what?" I let out a cold laugh, "from the beginning. We're the only ones left, the last left standing." He slowly nodded, "we're gonna get out of this cave." I shrugged, closing my eyes once again. I had only gotten a few minutes of sleep when I heard Magna yell, "SKINS."

This made me bolt up, I grabbed my machete fighting for light. I couldn't see skins until they were directly in front of me. I stabbed two and then looked around for more, Daryl grabbed my arm alerting the others, "let's go."

We climbed back up to our rock, "at least we know there's a way out now," Jerry said. Aaron nodded, "I think I know what way they went." I looked at him, "did you follow them?" He shook his head pointing at the wall, "no but I know a road sign when I see one." He pointed his light at the wall where an arrow was carved into it. "Oh," I whispered feeling stupid. He nudged me, "I may only have half an arm, but at least I've got good eyesight."

We started to push through the tight cracks of the cave until Carol began to breathe heavily again. I was about to talk to her but Connie grabbed her hand first and I decided that was probably for the best. We got to the point where we started to crawl through on our stomach. I think I also began to start breathing heavier than normal, Jerry was behind me, and Aaron stopped, "you guys alright?" I gave him a small nod and Jerry cracked a joke, "I'm just a 6 ft dude who had trouble fitting into airplane bathrooms, but I'm good."