Chapter 11

We cleared most of the prison and me and Carl found our own room I had the top bunk and he had bottom. I walked outside today and saw my mom sitting on a stone. "Hi mom," I said hugging her. "Morning Leah," she wrapped her arms around me. "What are you doing today?" She asked. I shrugged, "helping dad." Mom nodded, "well I guess you should eat before working all day." I laughed, "I guess you should eat before having  a baby." Mom hit me lightly, "I suppose your right, why don't we both grab something."

Mom and I went into the common room where Carol was making everyone a big breakfast. "Hi Leah," she said handing me a plate. "Morning Carol." Mom found us a spot to eat, we spent our morning talking about possible baby names, and what I would do to help the baby.  "Well mom I'm going outside want to come for a walk," I asked standing up. She smiled following me outside the doors, "it's nice out." I nodded in agreement we saw Carl talking to Hershel, and walked over to them. "Hey Carl, you sleep good last night? You were snoring louder then dad." He rolled his eyes, "ya right." Mom laughed, "are we fighting already?" I smiled turning around and immediately my stomach dropped. "Guys we gotta get inside." I said nervously. "RUN." I heard dad yell. Walkers were piling around us everywhere. I grabbed ahold of moms arm pulling her and Carl towards a door Maggie was holding open for us. When we got inside the halls had walkers roaming inside of them. We started running and I was desperately searching for an open room. "In here," Maggie said pushing us in.

Mom grabbed the post in pain. "Are you okay?" I asked she shook her head letting out a small scream. "The baby it's coming." I looked up at Maggie nervously, together we layed my mom down. I stepped back letting Maggie help her. I turned around and Carl hugged me. "We're okay Leah," he said quietly. I nodded squeezing him back. I pushed my head in his shoulder to try and drown out moms cries. "There's something wrong," Maggie whispered. I knelt down beside mom squeezing her hand. "Leah, Carl, I want you to remember I'll always love you. This world is cruel but rise above it. Protect this baby, protect each other. You guys are my babies." I hugged her, "no mom. Don't say that you'll be okay." She shook her head, "Maggie lift up my shirt. You'll see my c-section scar. Cut along there." I gave Maggie a small nod, "I love you mom." Slowly I pulled out my knife giving it to Maggie I bit my lip listening to mom scream. "Leah hold this open." I did as she instructed holding back my tears Carl was looking at the wall unable to face us. Eventually Mom had stopped screaming, her chest stopped rising and I knew she had died. Maggie pulled out a baby girl and I could barely look at her. My mom was gone she was dead. Maggie nodded towards the door, "we gotta go." I shook my head, "that's my mom. We're not leaving her to turn." Slowly I raised my gun, Carl wrapped his arm around my shoulder and I held my gun up. "It's okay Leah, it's what mom would have wanted." Quickly I pulled the trigger, I watched the blood pool from her head fighting back my tears. Carl and I stared until we heard a bang reminding us we had to keep moving, the three of us left the room, Maggie was holding the baby, and we went outside back to the parking lot, everyone but Tdog was there. Dad ran over to us, "Lori?" He asked quietly. Maggie shook her head, and I quietly walked away, terrified to see my father's reaction. I climbed over a fence and started walking on the road. I hated that baby and I hated myself for not helping her, not keeping my mom alive.

I heard a motor coming my way and sighed when I realized it was to late to hide. "What the hell you doing out here?" Daryl asked. Maggie was on the back of the bike with him. I looked down, "I'm just walking." Daryl grabbed my arm, "get on kid." I sat between the two of them leaning my head against his back. I knew he wasn't comfortable with expressing feelings but I needed someone and I knew that person would not be my dad. The way he broke down when he realized mom wasn't with us, it made my heart shatter, made me feel like my world was falling apart, and it was. We pulled back up through gates and I sighed. "I didn't want to come back yet." Daryl pulled me off the bike, "come on Leah." Slowly I started walking back to the prison Carl was holding the baby, and I could barely look at her. Maggie wrapped her arm around me, "why don't we all go eat?" All I could manage was a small nod.

I sat down on the stairs beside Daryl watching as everyone ate. "What you think the name should be?" He asked. I just shrugged looking away, "don't know." Dad barged through the door asking us if we were okay. I couldn't look at him, he was covered in blood and tears. My dad was supposed to be the strongest person I knew. I sighed looking down not knowing what I could say to make him feel better, I didn't even know what to say to myself.