Chapter 107

The next morning Michonne was riding out to Hilltop with a group but I decided to stay back. I had just left the house when Daryl walked up to me, "have you seen Lydia?" I shook my head, "not lately, want help?" He nodded and we both starting looking. "There," Daryl pointed. I looked over in the garden and I saw Lydia talking to Negan.

When we got close Daryl grabbed her arm pulling her back, and I stayed back staring at him. "What did you say to her?" He shrugged, "I was just trying to help her." I scoffed, "Negan you can't help anyone." He smiled, "I'm a changed man. I saved your little sister a while back. The least you could do is come and talk to me once a while, I miss when you used to come and visit me." I shook my head, "I don't have anything left to say." He sighed, "I'm sure you've got lots to talk about. Come on, you owe me." I bit my lip, "I'm only doing this because of Judith." He smiled, "we can talk over dinner."

I followed through and met Negan in the community hall. "I wasn't sure you'd show up." I grabbed my plate and sat across from him. "They let you out I see." He nodded, "feels good to be free." I sighed, "you seem close to Lydia." Negan agreed, "we're alike her and I. Outcasts. What do you feel your position is here?" I shrugged, "I don't know. I fight when I'm asked to. Do what I need to do to keep Judith and RJ safe." Negan smiled, "you helped keep Lydia safe." I finished up my meal, "is there anything in particular you want to know, or are you just trying to antagonize me?" He laughed, "I like you Leah, I've always admired your strength." I bit my lip, "you understand that you're not a good person right? I'm glad you think you changed, but I still remember you, and what you did." He nodded, "that's fair." I stood up and he followed me out the doors, "you hear that?" I shook my head, "jesus, over there." I saw three people attacking a smaller figure, as I got closer it looked like Lydia.

She was being held down on the ground, as we got closer Negan pushed the woman who was about to hit Lydia with a stick away hard and I connected my boot with one of the men's faces knocking him over. The other one lunged towards me and I punched him hard in the nose. Once they saw Negan neither of them dared make another move. I turned my head to where the woman he pushed laid, she hit her head off the wall and she wasn't moving. "She's dead." My eyes widened and I turned to Negan as he sighed, "shit."

"What the hells going on here?" A guard asked. Only twenty minutes later the council was gathered around us. I was down on the ground holding a cloth to Lydia's face and Daryl was crouched in front of us. "Take Negan away," he yelled. Lydia sat up and began protesting and I tried to hold her down. "He didn't do anything Daryl." I whispered.

"All of them down to the cells. Except Lydia. Take her to the infirmary." I scoffed, "pardon me." Gabriel sighed, "we have no choice, I'm sorry." I was led down into the cells and I pushed my back against the wall. Daryl followed me down only minutes later, "explain what happened to me." I closed my eyes, "Negan heard a screaming and we saw Lydia on the ground getting beat up. We helped her, that woman, it was an accident. Negan saved Lydia." Daryl grabbed the key and unlocked the cell, "you're not staying here." I stood up following him up the steps, he turned to me when we got out and wrapped his arms around me. I didn't question why, I just hugged him back. "I always thought my dad would be the one to break me out of jail." Daryl smiled, "come on, let's go home."

The next day the council was holding a vote on what to do with Negan. Daryl and I spoke to Michonne at Hilltop and explained to her what had happened. Just before she let us go she asked Daryl and I to be her council vote. Once we put down the radio I looked up at him, "we're a no, we're not killing Negan." He nodded, "I know."

When we got to the meeting we heard them all discussing what they thought of Negan. I pushed open the door, and they all turned to look at us. "We're Michonnes vote." I whispered. "I know everyone has different opinions on Negan. But he did the right thing here. I was there. And by now every single one of you should listen to what I'm saying without question. I've proven myself time and time again. You may not like Lydia, but she's a kid. And those were adults attacking her, and as much as it pains me to say it, Negans innocent here. We're a no, and you shouldn't take that lightly." Daryl nodded, and we turned around leaving the meeting. "Couldn't have said it better myself."