Chapter 2

The next day I sat at a log going through some of my math sheets, I stayed there until night time when we all sat around the fire listening into the conversation about Dale and his watch. Amy, Andreas little sister stood up to pee, as I ate the last bite of my fish. I was jerked back to reality as I heard a loud scream I quickly spun around to see at least a dozen walkers headed our way, Amy had been bitten. My mom screamed and I didn't think, I just ran as fast as I could. One walker grabbed my arm I pulled away from its slimy grip quickly kicking it back as hard as I could, I grabbed the stick beside me and hit it over the head. "Girly cmere, quick." I glanced up and saw Daryl close to me. Another walker stumbled up I hit it and ran to him. "You get bit? Scratched?" I shook my head no, he scooped me up and ran us back to the RV.

"Leah." My mom screamed running towards us. "Your okay baby, you're okay." I hugged her tightly, watching as dad came up beside her, "you get hurt?" Daryl shook his head, "she's fine, caught her fighting two off." My mom pushed back my hair, "don't you ever run away like that again." I nodded my head reaching for dad. He pulled me into him, Carl was sobbing into his chest. "Don't scream at her Lori, she's scared enough as it is." I hugged him looking up at Daryl, he gave me a swift nod then stormed back to his camp. "You did good Leah." Dad whispered. I peered onto the ground, Amy lay there covered in blood with Andrea leaning over her. "Don't look baby." Mom whispered. I pushed them away and went inside the RV.

Dale sat at the table with his head in his hands. "Leah, what're you doing here?" I shrugged sitting down across from him, "I killed a walker." He nodded, "you need to be careful." I gave a small smile, looking around the trailer. "Can I stay in here tonight? In the bunk bed?" Dale chuckled, "of course you can young lady." I climbed into one of the bunk beds letting Dale sit down beside me. "I know you're scared, but we're gonna be alright kid." I nodded laying down, the door was pushed open me and Dale both looked as my dad walked in. "You staying in here tonight?" Dad asked. "Is it okay?" I questioned sitting up a little. Dad smiled, "of course it is. I'll stay with you. Moms with Carl." Dale gave us both blankets and I moved over so dad could have some space. "Are you mad I killed the walker. I know mom is." Dad scoffed, "I'm not mad, but I just want you to understand that could've ended very differently. Don't tell mommy but you're a strong kid and I'm proud of you defending yourself like that." I smiled, "goodnight."

I woke up when dad did the next morning. Instead of leaving the RV I got dressed and sat at the table. I listened as mom and Shane fought quietly about habits and marriage I didn't completely understand what they were talking about but my mom didn't sound happy. Dad came in again and butted into their conversation. "We're going to the CDC. I'm doing what's best for my family." He told them then walked into the trailer sitting by me. "They made breakfast out there, if ya want." I shrugged, "I'm not too hungry." He nodded, "at least come get some fresh air." I stood up following him out of the RV. We walked together down to the creek, "is mom mad at Shane?" Dad scoffed, "mommy's mad at everyone these days." I nodded and kept walking. "Can you teach me how to use a gun?" Dad smiled, "eventually. Loud sounds draw them near. It's better to use something quiet when there's few of them." I nodded listening to every word he said. After about half an hour we walked back to camp and packed up. I sat in the RV with Carl and Sophie the three of us sat at the table looking outside as we drove towards the city. Carol came by and gave us each a snack. Sophia looked sad sitting across from me. Ed, her father had died in the attack last night. "Do you miss him? Your dad." I asked. She nodded, "a little." I grabbed her hand from across the table, "things will get better. Trust me." She looked down, "why aren't you afraid?" I shrugged, "I'm afraid, but I also don't wanna die." She picked up her doll glaring at it. "I don't wanna die." I smiled, "I won't let you. I promise."