Chapter 79

As soon as I saw the gates closed after Dad and Michonne I gave Judith to Aaron, and climbed down into Negans cell. I didn't know what I was going to say to him but I knew I had something to say.

Negan lay on his back staring up at the ceiling not even bothering to look at me. "I wish he killed you." Negan slowly turned his head to look at me, "what's stopping you?" I shrugged, "what stopped you from killing me when I shot down your men with Carl?" He let out a small laugh, "I don't know but not killing you was the worst decision of my life." I nodded, "I'm not killing you because right now you want to die, and it would be a cold day in hell the day I give you ANYTHING you want."

I slammed the door shut behind me sitting down on my front steps. When Dad and Michonne came back later that day, I met them at the gate. "We're going to Hilltop tomorrow, you in?" Dad asked. I nodded, "of course I'm in." He smiled, "good, get some rest. We leave early."

I was up extra early the next morning I picked out a simple outfit and brushed out my hair. I heard Judith downstairs already laughing so I left to
join everyone. "Morning." Dad smiled. I walked over to him tiredly wrapping my arms around him. "We're leaving in five, find something to eat quick."

I climbed onto my horse making the ride over to Hilltop. "We're going because Maggie was attacked last night." I looked at Dad as he rode beside me, "attacked, what do you mean?" Dad sighed, "her and Enid were jumped by Gregory and another man from town." I nodded, "are they alright?" Dad scoffed, "it's Maggie of course they're alright." I smiled, "so that's why we're going?" Dad shook his head, "there's something else. A bridge. We're going to rebuild one of the old bridges making it easier to travel between all our communities." I nodded, "this is the something after Carl wanted." Dad agreed, "it sure is."

When we arrived at the Hilltop I jumped off my horse running to hug Maggie first. "Are you alright, Dad just told me." She nodded resting her head on my shoulder, "I'll be fine when he's taken care of." I pulled away and she turned to my Dad, and I smiled as Daryl walked up to me. "Hey kiddo." I put my arms around him, "I missed you." He nodded, "I missed you too." I sighed, "how's the sanctuary?" He shrugged, "I'm surviving, how are you doing?" I bit my lip, "I'm getting there." Daryl placed his arm on my shoulder, "I know you are."

"Leah." I heard someone call from behind me. Enid was getting pushed in a wheelchair and I rushed over to her. "How are you doing?" I knelt down as she put her arms around my neck. "I'm fine, I'll be fine." I gave her a small smile pushing her hair back looking at the cut, "that's what I always say."

I sat on a log beside her looking over at the gates. "Are you guys planning on hanging Gregory?" Enid nodded, "Maggie wants to, she wants to make sure something like this never happens again." I sighed, "so how have you been?" She shook her head, "I've just been surviving. Like Carl told me too. How about you?"

I sighed, "every morning I wake up and expect him to still be there in the bed next to me. Anytime I need to talk about anything the first person who comes to mind is Carl. But he's not here anymore. He was a part of me, ever since we were kids. It's been months and I'm starting to think I'll never to be okay." She nodded, "I wish there was something I could say, but I know there isn't, because when I lost my parents I didn't talk to anyone." I bit my lip, "when I killed my mom, it didn't stick with me this long." Enid looked at me, "you had to do it for Carl too?" I nodded, "he didn't want me to, but if I was in that position I know how scared I'd be. I wouldn't want to be alone, and I wouldn't want to do it myself." She gave me a small smile, "neither would I. You were there for him, and he was there for you. It was right you were the one to do it." I took a deep breath, "I haven't talked about it with anyone really. Thanks." She smiled, "you know I'm here for you, whenever. There's not many girls our age anymore Leah." I let out a small laugh, "you're right about that." I watched as Dad walked over to me, "they're about to do it. I didn't know if you'd wanna be there or not Enid." I looked at her, "I'll go wherever you want to." She nodded, "I want to go and be there with Maggie."