Chapter 44

"We need to get Maggie." Carol grabbed my hand pulling me to where she was. We quickly cut her ties and then hid behind the door. The man who I had shot let out a growl. "He's turning." Maggie whispered. She quickly tied him up then came back behind the door with us. The older lady Molly kicked our door open, I heard her scream as the walker bit into her. Maggie stepped out from behind the door pulling the women's knife from her pocket, she stabbed it into her neck and I followed Maggie and Carol towards the exit.

"There's walkers blocking it." They had set up walkers to keep us in, but our group out. Maggie handed me a knife and I had stabbed one before a bullet flew right beside my head. Several others were fired before I heard her gun click. Slowly I spun around to see Paula there she dropped her gun smiling as Carol held hers up. "Do it, you've killed Donnie, and Molly. You destroyed our home." I listened as Maggie begged Carol to shoot her.

I was pushed forward as a walker broke loose and Carols gun was shot off. When I looked back up Paula was gone. From down the hallway we heard a voice whisper, "Molly?" It was the other girl with them. Maggie pulled me behind a wall and jumped out knocking the gun out of her hands. I lunged forward grabbing it and by the time I had gotten it aimed the girl had slashed Maggie's stomach with a knife. All I was thinking about was the baby, I unclicked the safety shooting the girl in the head.

Paula laughed, and Carol held her gun up, "I told you to run." Carol pushed her back and Paula fell back into a post and we watched as a walker bit into her face. The walkie clicked, "we're almost here." That wasn't Dads voice which meant more saviours were on their way. Carol grabbed the walkie taking a deep breath imitating Paula, "meet us on the kill floor."

I opened the door closest to me finding gas lining the walls. Quickly I grabbed one, "don't try and pick that up." Carol grabbed it for me dumping the gas all over the floor. "We'll hide in here and once they're in shut this door and throw the match in." I nodded grabbing the box of matches from my pocket. We heard a door open and Maggie hid us behind a door in another room.

The men ran straight passed us into the larger room, quickly I lit the match and Carol shut the door as I tossed the match in. Their screams made my stomach turn and the pain that consumed me was overwhelming. "We're almost out Leah." I nodded pushing forward, it felt as if his knife was still being dragged through my arm, each step I took my stomach released a sharp pain from where his boot had met my rib cage.

I had swallowed too much smoke and began coughing causing the pain in my stomach to become
much more severe. It became harder to breathe and my eyes were tearing up as I fought once again to catch my breath. Carol put her arm around me and I held my gun with my other arm. Maggie kicked open the exit door holding her gun up high. "Maggie." Glenn whispered standing in front of us. I saw Daryl, but I didn't see my dad. "You alright?" He asked me then Carol. I shook my head unable to get the word out, but Carol answered for me, "No, no I'm not, and she most certainly isn't." He nodded, "come here kid." He held me tightly in his arms and I closed my eyes catching my breath once again. Carol whispered, "where's Rick?" Daryl sighed, "he's coming, we still got their man." I looked up, "they're all dead, all their people."

I let go of Daryl watching as my dad walked in holding a gun to their mans head. "You're friends are dead, no ones coming for ya. You might as well talk." Daryl put his arm around me, helping me stand, "let him burn." Dad turned to look at me, then quickly focused his attention back on the man, "I'm going to ask you one more time, was Negan in the building you were in last night or was he here?" The man stared him dead in the eyes, "both, I'm Negan shithead." Dad scoffed, "I'm sorry it had to come to this." He held his gun up and I collapsed as he shot it. I felt blood spray onto my face and my chest was becoming almost impossible to lift.

Dad grabbed me as I fell down catching me before I hit the ground. I wrapped my arms around his neck burying my head in his shoulder as he picked me up. "We've gotta get her to Denise, he cut up her arm, her face, he tried to kill her for godsake." Carol whispered. I lifted my head wiping my face which had a mixture of blood and tears. "I shouldn't have missed, it's my fault." Dad set me on the bed in the RV sitting beside me. "This ain't your fault." Daryl knelt on the other side, "let's see it." Slowly I rolled my shirt up, and Dads eyes widened. Daryl placed a hand directly on my rib cage, "ones broken." I then held out my arm for them to inspect, "does that say saviour?" Dad nodded, "we're going back now, getting Leah to Denise." I reached for his arm, "can you stay here?" Daryl stood up, "I'll drive. Don't move much broken ribs ain't fun." I placed a hand on my stomach, letting a tear out of my eye. "We don't have to worry about them anymore Leah." I sighed looking out my window, "All I had to do was
shoot him then everything would have been alright." He put his hand on my forehead, "it's never that easy."