Chapter 50

I sat in the garage watching Carl throw darts early the next morning. "Morning," Dad said walking in with Michonne and Aaron. I gave them a small smile and Carl just continued throwing his darts. "We're going out to get supplies. One of you should come with us." Carl immediately shook his head, "I'm staying here, and so is Leah we'll look after Judith." Dad sighed, "we won't be out long." Carl spun around, "is this how it's going to be now?" Dad nodded, "it is, you know that." Carl turned away, "see you in a few days."

Dad sighed turning around and walked out of the garage. "Wait." I called. He turned around, "you want to come?" I shook my head, "you were just gonna leave without saying goodbye." He stepped forward pulling me into a hug, "be good Leah, I love you." I nodded, "see you soon."

Carl came out of the garage, "come on." I followed him outside as we ran towards the fence. I saw Enid carrying a bag on her back beginning to climb the fence. "Enid." Carl called. She turned to look at us, "I'm going to the Hilltop, I need to see Maggie." I shook my head, "you can't walk there it's far." She sighed, "I'll be fine." Carl shook his head, "I'm not saving you anymore." She rolled her eyes and continued to climb.

Carl began to walk away but I made a last minute decision climbing over the wall too. "What're you doing?" She asked. I shrugged, "I'm coming with you." She led the way and I walked quietly beside her, "why are you coming with me?" I shrugged, "I owe it to Maggie, and I didn't want you to go alone." She nodded, "why do you owe her?" I sighed, "Maggie had a sister her name was Beth. I became really close with her, when our group got separated it was me Beth and Daryl. She ended up dying, I couldn't help her." Enid looked at me, "Maggie couldn't blame you for that." I agreed, "she doesn't, but since then I've always felt as though I let her down." Enid gave me a small smile, "Maggie told me you were like a sister to her." I looked down at my feet smiling to myself. We walked until we got to a gas station, "walker Enid look out," I warned. She stumbled back and I quickly ran as a car came barreling towards the walker.

The window rolled down and Carl was sitting there smiling. "What are you doing?" Enid asked. He nodded towards me, "I'm not letting Leah walk to Hilltop alone, and I felt like a little drive."

I smiled helping him out of the car, Carl led us back onto the road where I stayed beside him playing with my knife. "You guys sorry you saw it?" I knew immediately she was referring to Glenn and Abraham. Carl shook his head, "No I watched the whole thing both times." She looked at him, "why?" Carl sighed, "I knew I needed to remember it so when I had the chance to kill him it wouldn't be a choice." I nodded, "I'd kill him. In a heartbeat." Enid smiled, "I know you would."

We continued walking until Carl found a suitcase with a pair of roller skates in it. "There's only two." I shrugged, "you two wear them I'll run for a bit." Enid smiled, "let's go."

I was laughing as I tried to catch up with the two of them, "keep up Leah." I rolled my eyes running even faster. "We should cut through the forest now." I let out a breath of relief, "Good I didn't think I could run any longer." Once we had gotten through the trees Carl put his arm out stoping me from walking into the open. I saw the several trucks parked by Hilltops gates and knew the saviours were there. "I don't think Negans there, I don't see that black truck." Enid looked at Carl, "you weren't taking a drive or coming to get Leah." Carl sighed, "I can't let them get away with this." Enid nodded, "I know." Carl looked at us, "come with me you want them dead too, we can do it." Enid shook her head, "You're doing it for you." I bit my lip, "I'm not letting you go alone." Carl nodded, "go wait over there, I'll be over in a minute."

I did as he said hiding behind a tree, I tried to think of a way to talk Carl out of this but he seemed set on this. I gave him a small smile as he walked over to me. "You ready?" I took a deep breath, "what about Dad." Carl grabbed my hand, "this is for Dad don't you understand that?" I shook my head, "I'm scared. Aren't you?" Carl sighed, "we might not have another chance."

"We got to go NOW." I pushed myself out sprinting towards the truck. Carl jumped in first helping me
up and we hid behind boxes towards the back. I peered through one of the boxes as I heard another person jump in the back. "Jesus?" Carl asked. "Hey guys." He came behind the boxes with us pushing his back against the wall. "Seems like we all got the same idea." I leaned back staring down at my feet. "What are you doing here?" Carl asked Jesus. He sighed, "I want to know where their compound is, isn't that what you two are doing?" I nodded, "it is."

After we had driven for a while Jesus stood up, "We need to jump off now, we're getting close they're slowing down." I shook my head, "won't we get hurt?" He gave me a small smile, "don't fight it when you jump." Carl nodded, "show us how." I watched as Jesus jumped out of the truck rolling onto the pavement he then stood up and ran behind cars. "Are we going?" I asked Carl. He shook his head pulling us back behind the boxes, "we're almost there."