Chapter 76

"Hey Leah," Enid whispered. I turned to look at her, and she grabbed my hand. "you haven't ate, you haven't slept." I bit my lip, "I can't even think of that right now." She nodded, "you don't have to. I'll do all the thinking."

She grabbed my hand standing us up, and taking us over to the steps. "I'll be back in a minute." I sat still looking up when Carol stood in front of me. "Did you hear about Henry?" I shook my head, "I knew he was here I haven't seen him yet." She nodded, "he let out some of the prisoners last night, and then he ran."

"He left the Hilltop?" I whispered. She sighed, "I'm going out to look for him. I just didn't know if you knew. I'm sorry to add this onto everything." I bit my lip, "you think he's dead?" I watched as she simply shrugged grabbing her gun, "I don't have much hope for anything these days."

I looked as Enid walked back out handing me a plate. "Everything alright?" I faked a smile, "yes I'm fine. Thanks for the food."

I ate alone on the steps staring out at the Hilltop until the sun began to set. "Your dad went out there. After I told him not too, do you know where he went?" Michonne asked walking up to me. I shook my head, "I don't know. How long has he been gone?" She sighed, "I have no idea." I threw my fork down standing up, "should we go out?" She shook her head, "he tried to hide this. This is his way of grieving." She turned her back to me walking away and I pushed my back against the wall closing my eyes.

As the sky began to get even darker I went to sit by the fire in the middle of town. I stared down at my hand looking at the two rings, one from Carl and the other from Benjamin. "Leah." I heard a small voice whisper. I looked up to see Henry standing in front of me. My heart skipped a beat and I fell to my knees in front of him, wrapping my arms tightly around the boy. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," he cried. I pushed hair out of his eyes, "why are you sorry, you did the same thing I tried to do. It didn't go how you wanted it to. Not everything in life will." Henry looked up at me, "I don't want you to go, because that means I lose the last piece of Benjamin." I stared at him, "Henry, I'm not going anywhere. But I'm not Benjamin either." He nodded, "I know that, but while you were there he was so happy, and that's all I want to remember."

I sat back down on the log pulling Henry into my arms. "I miss him a lot. He made me the happiest I'd been in a long time. He made me forget everything bad that was happening." Henry leaned onto me and I didn't move not wanting to let go.

"Henry." The two of us turned around and I saw Dad standing behind us with Morgan. Henry stood up walking to Morgan and I listened as Morgan placed a hand on Henry's shoulder, "I killed the man that killed your big brother."

"He's dead?" I asked Dad. He stepped forward putting his arms around me. "He's gone." I grabbed onto Dad tightly letting out a loud breath of relief. "Thank you Dad, thank you."

I felt him pull me inside handing me a piece of paper. "This is Negans plan for tomorrow." I looked down at it, "we're fighting tomorrow?" He nodded, "we're finishing it tomorrow."

Michonne came out of the bathroom and I sighed pulling Carl's letter out of my pocket, sitting down outside on the balcony.

Dear Leah,
  Do you remember us before all this happened. Two years apart and yet still you were always my best friend. You were always more mature, stronger, smarter and wiser. You were more determined, and motivated taking every opportunity that came. Even now nothing has changed, you're the first one to step up, ready to fight, ready to help in any way you can. I don't want you to lose that part of yourself. Ever. But I want you to see things from a different perspective. Dad isn't alway right, sometimes you need to follow your own path. Fighting can't always be the answer. I told Dad in his letter, about how life was before the end of the world. I reminded him about our walks around the neighbourhood, I told him how safe his hugs made us feel then, and even now. I know I joked that you're a daddy's girl, but there's not thing wrong with that. Hug dad every chance you get, tell him how much you love him. Teach Judith to be the same way. This next parts important, I'm saying this as your best friend. I know you can survive, I've seen everything you've done to do it. I know I said fighting wasn't always the answer, but when it comes to your life, it is. I told you to honour Dad, but do what you think is right. It's always better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. To be honest, I don't know what you're going to be like in ten years from now, I do know it depends on all the decisions you make from now to then. You're a good person Leah, you have a heart of gold. Don't lose it, ever. Hug Dad for me, everyday. You're gonna beat this world, just like Mom said you would.
I love you
-your best friend