Chapter 8

Sophia layed dead in front of me, I was trying block out the sound of Carols screams. Mom was collapsed on the ground hugging Carl glaring at me and dad. "Leah, go inside." Dad said nodding towards the house. Maggie grabbed my hand leading me inside. "I just killed her, I shot her Maggie," I whispered. She pushed my hair out of my face, "you did what had to be done." I shook my head, "I didn't think I just did it." My hands were shaking, "Leah why don't you lay down." I sat down on the couch staring at the wall. From the window I could see dad walking over to mom, so I got up running outside. "Dad," I called. He spun around to face me, "I thought I said stay inside." I nodded, "I want you to take your gun back." He grabbed it from my hand, "that's a good idea." I looked down, "is mom mad at me?" Dad shook his head no, "she's disappointed in both of us. I shouldn't have let you carry a gun in the first place."

Mom started walking our way, and I think dad was wrong because she looked very angry. She pointed her finger at me, "who the hell do you think you are Leah. You're a twelve year old girl, not an adult." I sighed looking up at dad. "Don't you look at your dad, you did that. You chose to raise the gun, and you chose to fire it. Now you need to deal with the consequences you will never forget that. Ever." I looked up, "I did what anyone else would have done." Mom knelt down to me, "that wasn't up for you to decide." I glared at her then took off, wanting to be as far from her as I could.

I went into the woods just a little, that I could still see the farm and leaned against a tree. I put my chin on my knees thinking about what I'd done, wiping the stream of tears off my face. "Need company?" A voice asked. I looked behind me and saw Daryl standing there. Instead of answering I turned back around. "You forget how to speak?" I glared at him, "what do you want?" He sighed sitting down, "nothing really." I looked at him, "what are you doing out here then?" Daryl just shrugged, "a walk, what are you doing?" I picked up the sticks in front of me, "I think everyone out there hates me." He shook his head, "nah, you did what none of them had the balls too. And that girl was your friend." I swallowed the lump in my chest, "ya she was." I started to stand up, "I don't plan on making anymore promises I know that." He simply nodded, and I walked away.

Mom was getting into a car as I got back to the house. "Mom?" She turned to look at me, "yes Leah?" I nodded towards the car, "where you going?" She looked down, "I'm going to get dad and Hershel, Beth collapsed." I looked at the house, "is she okay?" Mom nodded, "for now." I opened up the passenger door, "you're not going alone." She nodded, "thank you." I returned the smile, "guess that means you did something right." This caused mom to laugh softly, as we both got into the vehicle.

We drove down the road and mom pulled out a map. As she studied it, I turned my attention to the radio trying to get an old CD to play. All of a sudden a walker stumbled onto the road. My eyes widened, "mom. MOM." I screamed getting her attention. She gasped as she ran into the walker breaking the windshield. Glass spilled all over me cutting me everywhere. She tried to regain control of the vehicle, instead hitting the ditch flipping us over. From there everything went black.

When I opened my eyes the first thing I saw was a walker digging its way through the windshield. My leg was trapped between the seat and dashboard. Mom stabbed the walker and slid out of the car. "Mom, look out." I warned as another walker came up behind her. She tripped trying to get away, I looked down beside me and saw a gun that she must've brought. Quickly I picked it up and pointed it at the walker, "mom duck." I pulled the trigger shooting the walker down. "Baby, are you okay?" She rushed over to me. "I can't get my leg out." She crawled into the drivers seat, "sit back, I'm gonna move the seat." I nodded leaning as far back as I could, she reached the clutch, pulling it up. My seat slid back and my leg was released. "How bad does it hurt?" She asked. I shrugged looking down at my bloody and bruised leg, "it's not too bad. Mom what do we do?" She sighed, "can you walk?" I slowly put pressure on my knee but it buckled. "Grab my arm Leah." I put my weight on her, "okay let's go." Together we started pushing forward, then a car pulled up. Shane stepped out, "Lori get in the car. They're back." My mom nodded opening the door for me. "Good, we need Hershel to look at her knee."