Chapter 62

I turned to see Carl standing up the next morning. "You going somewhere?" He nodded, "trying to find gas. Come with me." I sighed pushing the blankets off of me finding a change of clothes. I met him by the door tucking my gun into my belt. "I'm ready."

Carl opened the door for me and we began our walk towards the nearest gas station. "Is your leg feeling better?" I nodded, "it hurts less." Carl gave me a small smile, "when all of this is over you and I should go to the kingdom. We can visit Benjamin's grave." I looked down at my promise ring, "really? You'd want to do that?" He nodded, "why wouldn't I?" I shrugged, "thanks, I would like that. A lot."

We continued walking before I saw the gas station ahead. "Benjamin's brother, Henry asked if since Benjamin was pretty much his dad, did that make me his mom." Carl smiled, "I wish I'd seen your face when he asked you that."

"Hello." A voice called out from behind a car. I whipped around pulling my gun out. "I've been shot at, I even had someone throw a microwave at me. I don't want any trouble. I haven't eaten in a few days." The guy continued talking and I slowly crawled under a car to find out where he was. Carl pointed ahead putting a finger to his lips. We both jumped out standing in front of the man. I watched as he jumped back putting his arms into the air. "Look.. I just want some food. Anything to help." I stepped back as I heard gunshots coming towards us. Dad held his gun up pointing it slightly above the mans head.

He ran away and I turned glaring at Dad. "He wasn't going to hurt us... he needed help." He shook his head, "Leah, he could have been one of them. Besides I shot above his head." Carl scoffed, "you think he was a spy?" Dad sighed, "I shot above his head. If he isn't one of them, I hope he makes it."

Carl stormed off to fill the gas and I stood beside Dad looking down at my feet. "We have to be careful right now. You especially. If he was a saviour and they found you out here, they'd kill Carl just to get to you." I bit my lip, "I don't think he was one of them Dad." He bent down to make eye contact, "you never know." I nodded, "fine."

When Carl was back Dad stood in front of us. "When we go today, to fight. I don't want you two there. Someone needs to stay back be there in case they show up. Leah you're hurt, and you and Carl fight better together. Am I understood?" I turned to Carl, and he just nodded. "Leah?" I sighed, "understood." He put his hand around my shoulder, "let's go back."

Once we got the gates I sighed turning to Dad. "My leg doesn't even hurt anymore. I want to fight." He pulled me aside, "No, you're not coming." I threw my arms up, "why not? You've had no problem bringing me any other time." He scoffed, "and all of those times you barely made it back alive." I rolled my eyes, "I'm not fighting for me, it's for him. I owe him." Dad put his arms around me and I pushed him back, "screw this." He grabbed my arm, "look I'm sorry, about him about them killing him.." I scoffed, "no you're not because you didn't spend every second of every day you had with him." Dad nodded, "if you come, you're by my side the entire time, you listen to every single word I say." I agreed, "thank you."

I walked over to where Carl was standing beside Michonne. "You're going aren't you?" Carl asked. I nodded, "I'm sorry." He put his arms around me, "be careful Leah. Don't get yourself killed because your blinded by anger." I squeezed him back, "I love you."

"Ready kid." Dad asked. I let go of Carl stepping into the RV. Dad patted the seat beside him and set my feet on the dash staring out at the road. "I hope you know what you're doing." I set my head on the side of the window, "I know exactly what I'm doing here Dad."