Chapter 99

It took me a few minutes to realize I had stopped walking. Lydia was studying me carefully and Daryl took a step towards me, watching as I took a few deep breaths. I almost laughed at how ridiculous I was being. "We don't let people in because the last time they did, something bad happened." Henry explained. Connie reached her hand out giving me a quick squeeze. I shook my head, "sorry I didn't mean to stop. Just didn't feel good suddenly." Daryl nodded, ushering them forward. "You good?" I tried to give him a small smile, "I'm fine." He stopped us, "you gotta talk to me if you're not alright. We're on our own now." I looked up, "I know. But I'm alright, I just hadn't thought about that in a while." He nodded, "neither have I."

I took a deep breath, "that was a lie. I do think about it a lot." Daryl sighed, "me too too. I think about what he did. I think about the how when I kicked the door in I thought you were dead. I thought I failed my brother, Carl, Judith, RJ, your mom, all of the communities, everyone. Worst of all I thought I failed you. The one person who I actually believe deserves the world." I bit my lip, "when you saw me there, and realized I was alive, did you see me different, weaker?" He sat down on a log patting the spot beside him, "I saw your chest rise and that was the only thing that told me you were alive. Every other part of you looked dead. I helped you sit up, and you still looked like you were a walker. I was terrified, I thought that would be the last straw for you. That alone would be enough to destroy one person. But after everything that happened that year I didn't know what was going to happen."

I nodded, "I hate that you saw me like that." He nodded, "I get it, but I didn't care. I cared that you were safe, alive, and now all I care about is making sure no one ever lays a finger on you again. I owe it to your dad, and hell I owe it to you too." I pulled my knees to my chest, "thank you. I never want to cry in front of you, or look weak, it just makes me small, and stupid I cant explain it, but somehow you're always there when I need someone." He put his arm around me, "I want you to come to me, don't matter if you need someone to scream at, cry to, or even hit. You know I'm here." I gave him a small smile, "I know."

He nodded at the others, "we should keep going, get Henry to the kingdom quicker." I stood up meeting the group who were a bit ahead of us. Henry walked over to me wrapping her arms around me laying his head on my shoulder. "Thank you," he whispered. I held him tightly, "for what?" He sighed, "everything really. For helping me anytime I need it, for always reminding me of Benjamin and what he would want me to do." I gave him a small smile, "I know he'd be proud." Henry nodded, "I hope so." I looked up at Lydia who gave me a small smile, and Connie who appeared to be studying me closely.

Henry must have told them, I could tell from the way they both met my eyes. Daryl pointed his finger forward, "gotta keep moving." I stayed beside Daryl and we kept walking for about another hour before we heard something dragging along close to the road. I narrowed my eyes when I saw Michonne and Judith being pulled by two horses. "Anyone need a ride to the kingdom?" I let out a small laugh as Judith threw herself into my arms wrapping her arms around my neck tightly. I sat between her and Michonne looking at the road in front of us, we were close to the Kingdom.

When we reached the gates I grabbed Judiths hand pulling her into the kingdom. The fair was set up and it looked amazing it replicated a fair I would have went to when I was a kid. "Leah." I heard Enid gasp throwing herself into my arms. "We were all worried about you guys." I laughed, "I don't die that easy." She put her arms around my shoulder, "I'll show you around." Michonne grabbed my arm, "the communities are having a meeting. About Lydia, you should be there." I sighed, "I'm gonna pass today." Enid smiled, "I'll take good care of her." Judith went with Michonne and I turned to Henry who had just let go of Carol. "Should we go for a walk around?" I asked. Carol stepped forward wrapping her arms around me, "thank you for looking out for him." I smiled, "of course."