Chapter 31

Once I was out I saw Michonne standing in front of a house I assumed my father was in. "Leah you don't want to go in there." I scoffed, "you don't get to tell me whether or not I should go in." She nodded, "he's sleeping." I shrugged, "he can sleep when he's dead."

I pushed past her opening the door, dad was asleep on a mattress just laying on the floor. I sat down on it, and he shuffled a bit. "What were you thinking?" I whispered. I scared him and he jolted up, "Leah." I didn't break eye contact, "what were you thinking?" He stared at me, "look I'm sorry." I shrugged, "that's it? you're sorry?" He sighed, "I've been hard on you lately I get that, but I snapped, I couldn't help it. All I was thinking about was Jessie, and how Pete's son almost hurt you." I shook my head, "this is why I didn't want to tell you." He moved closer to me, "it isn't your fault, it's mine I just reacted badly." I bit my lip, "what if they kick you out?" He held open his arm, "just sit here with me for a minute." I leaned against his side closing my eyes. "I didn't sleep last night, neither did Carl." Dad sighed, "close your eyes for a minute, I'm not going anywhere." I did as he said at some point falling asleep.

"Leah." I heard someone whisper. Dad was shaking me awake. "Let's go home." I stood up following him out of this house. "I think if they try to kick you out, we fight them." He stared down at me, "I knew you were my daughter."

I pushed open our door and Carl came running out immediately. Dad opened his arms for him and I lay down on the couch. "You two are not coming to that meeting today." I shook my head, "yes we are.." Dad pointed his finger at me, "No you are not. Don't make me repeat myself." I scoffed turning the other way.

When Michonne came to get Dad I waited for them to close the door, and grabbed one of the knives I was hiding and pushed it down my pant leg. I closed and locked the bathroom door then threw my leg out the window and carefully climbed down the side of the house. I ran behind all the houses making my way to the meeting. I looked for Dad but he wasn't there. I looked one more time and then continued running looking for him. I heard a growl from behind a house and slowly made my way over there I held my knife tightly in my hands and when I made it around the corner I saw Dad on the ground holding a walker above his head. I sprinted forward stabbing the walker at the same time I watched a bullet go through its head. "LEAH." Dad screamed. "YOU COULD HAVE BEEN SHOT." I dropped my knife, "I thought it was going to bite you." He raised his eyebrow, "I don't need you to worry about me. Help me grab this walker." I did as he said carrying the legs. "What are we doing?" I saw we were headed towards the meeting and when we got there Dad slammed the body in front of the fire.

I stood beside him noticing how covered in blood the two of us were. "I didn't bring it in. It got inside on its on. They always will the dead and the living. They'll hunt us, they'll try to use us, and try to kill us. But we'll kill them. We'll survive. I'll show you how. I was thinking how many of you do I have to kill to save your lives, but I'm not going to do that. You're going to change. I'm not sorry for last night, I wish I said it sooner. You're not ready but you have to be. Luck runs out."

"YOU'RE NOT ONE OF US." Pete screamed. "YOU'RE NOT ONE OF US." Pete came towards dad and I holding a machete. Deanas husband, Reg, stepped in front of him, "Pete you don't want to do this." I watched as Pete pulled the machete towards him slicing it through his neck. Deanna crumbled to the ground and I stared at the man who had blood spraying from his neck. It felt as though time had stopped, I watched Reg grab his neck gasping for air, he was suffering. "Rick." Deanna whispered. "Do it." Dad held up his gun and immediately pulled the trigger, I turned my head as a bullet entered Pete's skull.

My eyes trailed up seeing Daryl, Aaron and another man standing at the gates. The man I didn't know stared at my dad, "Rick." I looked down at my feet blood had pooled onto my shoes and my hands and face were still covered from the walker. "Let's go." Daryl whispered grabbing my arm. "No I'm not leaving." He used his arm to pull me away, "you think your dad wanted you to see all that." I turned around to see my dad standing there still holding the gun looking back at me. Once we got to my house I sat down on the steps, not wanting to go in. "Leah?" Carl asked seeing Daryl and I on the steps. "Why are you covered in blood?" I shook my head, "I tried to help dad with a walker." Daryl sat down beside me, "Carl give me a second with her." As soon as the door shut I put my head in my hands. "You alright?" He asked. I nodded trying my best to feel okay after watching everything I just did. Daryl sighed, "I know you want to help and fight but stuff like that isn't something you should see, end of world or not." I shrugged, "I've seen worse. We both have." Daryl nodded standing up, "go get some sleep kid."

I remained on the step as he walked into his house, and stared up at the dark sky. "Leah." I looked up and saw Dad standing in front of me. "Go take a shower you're covered in blood." I bit my lip, "I don't even know if it's walker or human blood." He placed a hand on my shoulder. "Let's go inside alright." I stood up still shaking slightly, he used his arm to steady me. Carl was waiting inside for us, "what happened? why are you both covered in blood?"

I pushed past them both climbing into the shower. I stared down as all the blood surrounded the drain and stayed in until I heard a knock on the door. "Come on get out, we can talk about everything."

I shut the water off changing into new clothes, Dad stood outside the door and I just looked at him not knowing what I wanted to say. "Just leave me alone."
He clearly didn't know what to say either because he let me walk away. I saw Carl sitting on his bed and I sat down beside him, leaning onto his side. "I wish I didn't go out there," I whispered. Carl put his arm around me, "I know." We stayed there together until
Carl decided to lay down. "Sleep here if you want tonight." I smiled standing up, "my beds a foot away I think I'll be alright."