Chapter 117

The horses were hooked up to the wagon, while Magna Kelly and Luke got the stereo set up. It began blasting and the group of us started walking down the roads leading the horde behind us.

I stayed towards the back with Lydia making sure none of them got too close. We walked into the night, and I kept my eyes peeled for skins. "They're coming." Lydia hollered.

We lined up behind the horses as a group of whisperers grabbed walkers using them as shields. They started coming out of the forest, "Run. LETS GO." Daryl shouted. We lost the wagon and I had no choice we started running into the forest.

We found a tree to take cover from the rain under and we all crouched down on the log. "What do we do now?" Magna asked. Daryl sighed, "I've got a plan. It's not a good one, but it's our only plan. I say we go back into the crowd and hunt them down. We have no choice, if they get to our people, we lose." I bit my lip, "we lost the wagon how are we supposed to lead them off the cliff." Lydia raised her hand, "she showed me how, I can do it." I shook my head, "that's suicide if you don't have the wagon Lydia." She sighed, "I can do it." Daryl started walking away, "let's go, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

We pushed our way back into the crowd I found one stepping behind it and I quickly grabbed onto her hair exposing her neck and dragging my knife across it. I continued pushing through until I saw Negan' struggling on the ground, with Beta on top of him. I swiftly started to make my way there but Daryl got there first. I watched as he drove two knives into the top of his head and I watched in horror as Beta stood up screaming as he pulled the knives out of his face. Walkers started surrounding him and instead of being scared he held his arms out accepting his fate. I watched as the mask was dragged off of his face, I knew that face. My dad used to listens to this guys songs. Negan was thinking the same thing, "holy shit, you know who that asshole is?" Daryl shook his head, "yeah. Nobody."

I watched Lydia circle around doing what she said she would leading them away. Daryl grabbed my hand, "it's over." I let out a relieved sigh, "It's all over."

Together we started to walking back to our meeting spot in the forest. I saw Judith and RJ running towards me as soon as we made the clearing. "Are you guys alright?" I asked running my hands through their hair. Judith smiled, "we have a surprise for you." I saw Daryl hugging someone but I couldn't make out who it was.

When they pulled away it felt like my heart had stopped for a minute. I blinked a few times to make sure I wasn't dreaming. "Maggie," I whispered. I think everyone was laughing at my reaction by now, but I still couldn't believe that she was standing directly in front of me. She ran towards me and I threw my arms around my neck, laughing happily into her shoulder. I took her down to the ground with me, terrified to let go.

When I did finally step back she gave me a smile pushing away strands of loose hair. "Leah Grimes. Look at you now." I had to brush away a stray tear, putting my head back down on her shoulder. "I fucking missed you. I missed you so much Maggie." She put her hand on the back on my head, "I missed you even more if you can believe it. From what I've been told, you've been through the ringer." I smiled, "thank you, for coming back."

I turned my head as footsteps came from behind me. Lydia and Carol were back, "you did it?" I asked. She gave me a small nod, "they're gone."

I grabbed my knife as two unknown men approached us. "They're my men." Maggie said. "Hershel and I were living with their people until our village got destroyed. I was thinking about bringing them to Hilltop."

Maggie didn't know about what went down at Hilltop yet. Daryl sighed, "we need to show you something."