Chapter 124

"Someone's coming." I whispered pointing at three figures who were still a bit away. "We don't have time to run," Maggie answered. She pointed down at the trap door and I kept watch as they all started to get closer.

"Gabriel hurry," I begged. He was hurt but he wasn't moving fast enough I wasn't gonna have enough time. Quickly I closed the trap door and then covered it back up with the rug sprinting upstairs. I could try and jump from a window, or hide, I didn't know my plan yet. I was in the first room upstairs when I heard the door get kicked in.

I loaded my gun pointing it at the door, listening as they were shouting clear while checking the downstairs area. "It's still wet," I heard a woman answer. "Guess he was telling the truth," a younger man replied.

I heard one set of footsteps coming up the stairs and I held my breath pushing my gun up. The door was kicked open and I was about to fire but it was Daryl. I dropped my arms to my side, I didn't know how to react. Was he with these people now. "Follow my lead," he whispered.

I gave him a small nod as he took my gun away pulling me down the stairs. "Who's that?" The woman asked him. "She was with me." Daryl answered. "She ain't with these people, she was just doing the same thing I was until we got split." She walked up to me, "did anyone else make it here?" I shook my head, "I don't know, I just got here today. If they did they already left." The guy with them looked like he would be about Carl's age, maybe a couple years older. "They left without you?" I shrugged, "they didn't know me very well, they probably thought I was dead."

"What's your name?" She asked. "It's Leah." She looked as though she almost smiled at me, "is this the Leah you told me about?" She asked Daryl. He gave her a small nod, "that's her." She studied me, "that's my name too." I didn't answer I just stared at her, this is the woman Daryl was with when he was out looking for my dad. The guy walked over to me holding rope, "turn around, we're not taking any chances." Leah shook her head, "that's not necessary." I watched as he turned to glare at her, "Pope said to kill them. We've kept her alive. The least we can do is tie her up. We don't know who's side she's really on."

The boy put his hands on my shoulders spinning me around, and I closed my eyes as he tied my wrists together. He led me to the front steps and sat me down, "don't try anything, you won't get far with your wrists all tied up."

I let out a breath as he left me alone on the steps. I could try and run but I wouldn't really have anywhere to go, they'd see me, and then they'd kill
me. I tried to listen in on their conversation, hoping I'd catch what they were saying, but I couldn't.

I looked up as the girl stepped down beside me. "I've heard quite the stories about you." I met her eyes, "are you the leader?" She shook her head, "I've got a feeling he'll like you though. You just gotta make it through the question process." Daryl stepped out beside her. "What's the question process?" Daryl sighed, "you really got to do that to her too. She's a kid." She looked down at me, "it's not my call." I bit my lip, "you can torture me all you want, I don't know anything about these people. I just followed Daryl out here." She sighed, "I believe you. You have to make them believe you." They both went back inside and I could hear the three of them arguing but I couldn't make out what they were actually yelling about.

When they came back out it was time to leave. I could tell there was a tension between them all. "I'm Carver." The boy told me as he walked beside me. I met his eyes and then looked away. "I can tell your scared." I shook my head, "you don't scare me." I almost laughed at my own lie. This question process absolutely did scare me. His hands leading me forward reminded me of that other boy, so he was right I wasn't scared, I was terrified. He shrugged, "it's not me that you should be afraid of." I looked away, "will they kill me?" He raised his eyebrows, "I guess you'll find out."