Chapter 31: A Threat

Three weeks later

Quietly humming to cheer myself up, I open the door to take out the trash. I wonder when ### will get out of the hospital? ...If she comes out of the hospital. Soraru said she'll be coming back today, so I guess I won't have to worry. Just then, my foot kicks something thick and furry. Huh?, I think to myself. What is this?  Looking down, a scream erupts from my mouth. 

Staring at my reflection in the window, Soraru drives quietly, no conversation between us

Staring at my reflection in the window, Soraru drives quietly, no conversation between us. I'm relieved that I finally got out of the bed after weeks, but ever since that night, I haven't been able to look Soraru in the eye anymore during his visits. I've always felt guilty about it. "Uh, Soraru-san" I start to say, but he interrupts me. "Ah, we're here." 

Straightening my back and looking out the window, I can see our house. Parked from the opposite side, we need to walk across the road to Mafumafu's house. Seeing Mafumafu's shadowed, crouched figure against the light of his open door, we walk up to greet him. Getting closer, I realise something's wrong. As I step on a piece of paper, there's a bloody message etched on it. Not being able to read it as it's upside down, I see the trail leading to the mutilated cat, its blood glistening in the light. As Mafumafu cradles it, sobbing, I walk over to read the message. My blood immediately runs cold. 

DON'T TOUCH HER AGAIN OR THE OTHER CAT AND MAN WILL DIE