Chapter 25- A Disastrous Performance

Soraru manages to grab us two front-row seats. Luz said he didn't want to come, and there was a TV backstage that linked to the stage where Mafumafu would perform anyways. I wonder if that's the only reason? Turning in my chair, my eyes scan the audience. There's a normal level of chatter, everyone's just talking. Or gossiping about Mafumafu to be more specific. From a few too-loud voices, I can his name being bounced around in conversations. "Mafumafu did... Mafumafu says... Apparently Mafumafu..." is a few of the many things I can hear. I'm becoming nervous. Will be really be alright? Soraru meanwhile, looks just as distressed as I am. He's gnawing at his thumb and staring ahead, his hair hiding the upper half of his face. It isn't like Soraru at all to be stressed like this. Tentatively, I reassuringly put a hand on his shoulder. Shoulder flinching, it's like he just realised I'm there. Soraru turns to me, and I try comforting him by giving a smile. He smiles back, but I can see the sadness and concern in his eyes and he looks away.

Just then, the crowd seems to quieten, and we both turn towards the front. There, we can see Mafumafu's figure, outlined by the purple glare of the lights behind him. He's clutching the microphone towards his chest, white hair is covering his eyes, and he's set his lips in such a thin line they've almost disappeared. Letting out a shaky breath in the microphone, now every single pair of eyes is on him, and the stadium is dead silent, except for the now much quieter murmurs among the crowd. Honestly, can't these people have some respect? Shaking, I can see Mafumafu peeking at the crowd from under his fringe. He's so afraid. Just as it begins to look like we won't get a song at all, he opens his mouth to sing. 

As Mafumafu starts to sing, I can feel that tinge in my body again. 

Your words, your memories

Fill this tiny world 

It's a pleasant today

Like the few minutes at the end of the movie

There no track playing in the background, so his voice echoes in the silent stadium, the crowd listening with interest and judgement on their faces. I haven't heard this song before, so it must be new. Looking at Soraru for clues, it looks like I won't get an answer out of him. 

The fate you take

 The fate you let go

Just goes on increasing

Even though I noticed that small open seam

Until my heart overlooks this body

Until I go to a world with no tomorrow

To count all the things that will be lost

Just call that love

Just call it love

Mafumafu seems to be slightly screaming the last part of the chorus, slightly rising in "Just call that love" before returning to his normal tone. Although I'm looking down, I can feel his ebony-coloured eyes looking at me. 

Your smile is also as immature as one that

I will no longer be able to see it in the blink of an eye

If that is so, from the beginning

It would have been better to remain unbeknownst of loving gestures

Because the passing life-time and the unchanging regrets

Are called life

That's why I am attracted to you to the extent that

I can't help it

I can hear the smile in his voice for the first verse, which eventually develops to pain towards the end. The emotion in his voice is strong for this. He goes silent for a minute before letting out the final verse. 

To have longed for you who have left

As far as the other side that can't be reached even if I try to extend this hand

Further than what I see in my dreams

Just call that love

Just call it love.

Belting out towards the end, I can hear Mafumafu's voice crack with emotion. There's no applause, the crowd is dead silent. Scanning the crowd, I can see the pain in his eyes. Just then, he drops the microphone and runs off stage.