Chapter 56: A Mother's Suspicion, Part 2

"I can't believe you used my yen for THAT!" 

"Too bad~ Thanks for the crepe, Kukai-kun!"

"Ughh!"

Watching the scene my friends are in, I laugh a little. Well, they probably aren't really my friends - just a couple of sons selected from rich families like us. That's how it's always been, hasn't it....? Things are decided for me - the things I can eat, the places I can go, the friends I make, I don't usually get a say in things. 

But they're decent I guess, Kukai and Satoru. They're fun to watch, and include me in conversations. But.... 

"Dai-kun~ What are you spacing out for?" Satoru turns to me, crepe crumbs and a curious expression on his face. 

Just as I'm about to answer, my phone rings.

"Ah- Sorry, I gotta take this. Just give me a minute." I say, pulling it out of my pocket. Kukai and Satoru nod. 

Mom. 

"Daichi~ There's some people on our driveway, do you know them? I heard them mention your name once or twice." 

Mom's voice is lilting and bright, just like it usually is. Feeling a smile spread across my face, I press for more questions. 

"What did they look like?" I eventually ask, trying to mask the excitement in my voice. 

"Hmm~ There was a black-haired man, a white-haired man, and a light brown-haired man!" Mom answers cheerfully, as if she's a small child in elementary and answering a teacher's question in class. 

That's all I need as confirmation. 

"I'll be right there." I say.