Chapter 43 - Suspicion

Turning the knob of the shower off, I sigh happily. It's been ages since I had a warm shower. Even in Mafumafu's house I always had a short and cold one, in fear of doubling his shower and hot water bill. At least in Daichi's house I won't have to worry about bills and all that jazz. 

Just as I set foot outside the shower, I hear a scream from underneath the floor, so faint I wonder if it even happened. Leaving wet footprints across the marble floor, I quickly slap some cream on my body and face and dress myself into the baggy, white, fluffy jumper and black tights attire that Daichi's prepared for me, then set out into the hallway. 

Surprisingly I find him not too far down

Surprisingly I find him not too far down. He's taken off his jacket, I've noticed. Weirdly, my attention is drawn to the black choker on Daichi's neck. I can't help but stare at it for a bit, until he notices me. 

"###-chan, did you need something?"

Looking up at him, Daichi has that same, bright, beaming smile on his face. Momentarily getting lost in his big, blue eyes, I forget what I was going to say. But I quickly snap back to focus.

"Daichi-kun, did you hear a scream earlier?" I ask him. He seems surprised, and for a moment his smile wavers, before returning again. 

"No~pe! No screams here, ###-chan." Daichi replies sweetly. "It's been a rough night for you, hasn't it? You must just be hearing things." His explanation seems logical - I must have been hearing things, and that scream was just my overreactive imagination. Giving a nod and returning his smile, I head down the hallway, and Daichi goes inside his room. 

As I walk down the hallway, I still feel doubt in my mind. Daichi isn't lying to me, right? He'd never. But what if he is...?

Eventually my curiosity gets the best of me, and I head down the stairs. But just as I can get any further on the first floor, the door opens. 

And standing there is Mr. Furuichi.