Chapter 44 - The Furuichi Family, Part 1

Eventually my curiosity gets the best of me, and I head down the stairs. But just as I can get any further on the first floor, the door opens.

And standing there is Mr. Furuichi. 

I step back in surprise. What is he doing here?! I then remember that Mr. Furuichi is Daichi's father, he must've have come home early. He raises an eyebrow at me, a disapproving look on his face.

"Yamamoto." Mr. Furuichi says flatly. I can tell he's not impressed nor pleased to see me here. "What are you doing here?"

Suddenly feeling self-conscious, I straighten my clothes and tidy my hair. I don't like Mr. Furuichi at all, but I somehow feel that I have to look proper. 

"Your son invited me here." I finally reply, looking down awkwardly.

"And what about Mafumafu-san?" Mr. Furuichi asks, irritated. 

"Well-" I start, before he cuts me off,

"I knew it. That man was nothing but trouble, and now you're freeloading in our house, leeching off our son." He snaps, and I bite my lip. 

"You've never been any good, ### Yamamoto." Mr. Furuichi says coldly, and I feel my heart drop. He's right. I'm not good, and I probably never will be. People don't want me. I'm too unsociable, and never say the right things. And because of that, all of this happened.... 

"And you, Daichi." Mr. Furuichi snaps, and turn around, shocked to see that he was standing on the stairs, watching us from the staircase guiltily. 

"I expected better than you to let some street rat from university into our house. Much less this one." Daichi looks down bitterly, and I swear I can hear him "tch".

"Oh, is this Daichi-kun's friend?" 

We all look towards the door, and Mr. Furuichi's face seems to soften. 

"Yako." He says in a slightly, less stricter voice. She gives him a smile. 

Daichi's mother is beautiful, she has shoulder-length hair, pale skin and matching blue eyes with her son. She's wearing a white coat, which leads me to assume she just came back from work. Yako beams at me.

"Oh! So you're this famous ###-chan Daichi's been telling me all about!" Yako says cheerfully, and I feel warm inside, happy to see someone smile at me. 

"N-Nice to meet you." I say bashfully. 

"Mama," Daichi starts off. "###-chan doesn't have anywhere to stay, so can she live with us? I'll take care of her, and we can study together!"

"But of course! We have enough room, it shouldn't be a problem!" Yako answers with a smile on her face. "We have a spare room, so it shouldn't be a problem. Right, honey?" 

Mr. Furuichi nods, and I whisper under my breath simp before heading up the stairs with an excited Daichi.

"We're having dinner soon!" Yako calls after me as we head up the stairs.

"I look forward to it." I say politely, as Daichi drags me along.