Chapter 27- Regret and Reminiscence Under a Moonlit Lake

I hit the water almost instantly. "###-CHAN!!!" I can hear Mafumafu scream, as my body falls into the lake. Soon, my ears are filled with water. Instinctively holding my breath by pursing my lips, I look up and see faint light rays, among the bits of drifting paper and plastic bags. Reaching up a hand towards the surface, I put it down again. It's pointless. No one's going to save me. Holding onto what remaining breath I have left, I realise I should have been kinder to Mafumafu. 

"Why should I care?"

"That's none of your business!"

That idiot.

"Mafumafu, I can't believe you!"

"I just don't want you to be found out just because of something dumb like you came to pick me up, that's all."

I should... I should have been kinder to him. After all he did for me, I just yelled at him, got annoyed at the efforts he put in, that he helped me, and how 'overprotective' he was. No matter how angry I got at him, he always had that goofy, stupid, cute smile on his face. 

"I brought you to my house, so I could treat your bruise."

"U-um! I'd be glad to take her in!" 

"Well, I guess we're stuck together, huh?"

"That's a beautiful name!"

"I'll become a utaite you can be proud of."

"Here you go, ###-chan, you can have mine instead" 

But I guess I ruined it. I was too harsh to him up to the part where he wouldn't smile at me anymore. 

"I won't do it again if you don't want me to"

"Hey, tell me, ###-chan."

"Do you hate me?

I never hated him, I just didn't know how to act around him. And I guess it opened a can of worms because of that. He even got his career and reputation ruined. I'm the reason this whole mess started. 

"Why is this happening to me, ###-chan?"

 "I didn't do anything wrong..."

"I just want to disappear, I want all of this to go away..."

"Ruined?"

"It's already broken beyond repair."

"###-chan, do you not like it here?"

I'm so selfish. I caused him so much pain, and I guess this is the result. Serves me right. As a plastic bag floats near my face, it sort of reminds me of how Mafumafu and I met. I was in a sea of debt, papers and letters all around. Mafumafu was the ray of light, and I guess he saved me from the polluted water into a better life. Too bad I didn't appreciate it while it lasted. 

Now, I think everyone I'd met. Daichi, Kirika, Taro and his mom, Soraru, Luz... They'd be sad when Mafumafu told them I drowned, right? I don't want them to be sad, though. Ah well, it can't be helped, can it? Too bad I had to die here, in a polluted lake on a Monday night. Would they even find my body? As all of these questions flash through my mind, my lungs feel like they're gonna burst.

Finally succumbing, the water rushes through my mouth, my throat, before reaching my lungs. I can't breathe anymore. The water feels painful and disgusting as it goes through my nose and mouth, and I even ingest some paper. I guess that's what I deserve. Closing my eyes, I finally lose my consciousness. I guess this is how it ends. In a cold, murky and polluted lake with rubbish in my lungs.