Chapter 66: Replacement

"Now, what's going on?"

As a blonde-haired woman walks into the basement, everything and everyone comes to a halt. 

Luz, Soraru and Mafumafu look uneasy, the bodyguards seem to bow their heads a bit, and Daichi and Kaori look both relieved and anxious. I recognise her instantly; she's Daichi's mother.

"A-Auntie!" 

"Mom!"

Kaori and Daichi exclaim at the same time, as she walks up to the both of them with a smile. Reluctantly, I get off Daichi, but still keep a grip on his knife. I better not cause any trouble here.

"A-Auntie Yako! Daichi killed your son all those years ago, and h-he-" Before Kaori can say anything more, Yako stops her babbling. 

"I know," She replies calmly, and holds her hand out to Daichi; he takes it and stands up. The frustration is evident on Kaori's face, and she clenches her fist. I feel bad for Kaori - she shouldn't be involved in something like this at such a young age. 

"How can you just... let what he's done slide?" she asks Yako.

"What you're doing is wrong," I add on, trying my best to support Kaori.

"I don't care," Yako simply says, those red lips smiling, "You see, Kaori and ###, He's my little replacement."

Replacement

Replacement.

Replacement.

Those words slice into me like a blade, and I can't say anything. My mouth is dry. 

Is that really how mom sees me?

After all I did?

I almost can't believe my ears. 

After all I did, after all the studying and effort I put in.... Is that how my mom, nonetheless my parents and peers, all view me?

Maybe that's what I really am, after all.

How pathetic.

As my mother shouts out an order to the bodyguards to let ### and the others go, I do nothing to stop them. I'm tired. 

"Wait!" ### cries out, " Is that really what you think of your son?  All he wanted was love, why couldn't you and Mr. Furuichi give that to him?"

She's still trying to defend me, huh? After all I did. 

###... All your efforts are in vain.... 

But my mother only turned to her with a cold glare. 

"Huuh? Mind your own business,"  She says in a cold tone, "Especially when your childhood wasn't any better."

I see ### grit her teeth. Mom must've overheard our conversation earlier.

As Yako shouts out an order, I feel something sharp pierce my arm, before everything goes black.