Chapter 45 - The Furuichi Family - Part 2

"Hah.... Hah...." 

Trying to catch my breath, we finally reach Daichi's room. He crashes onto his bed, laughing cheerfully. When Daichi finishes, he's silent and staring up at the ceiling. Enjoying the silence for a bit, it's short lived as he quickly remembers I'm here.

"Oh, I'm sorry ###-chan!" Daichi apologises. "I just drifted off for a bit!!"  

"It's fine." I reply faintly, and take a seat on his olive-green chair. It's quite comfortable actually - I lean back in it as Daichi lounges on his bed, leaning on some pillows.

"Oh, you can join me if you want! C'mere!!" He offers brightly, but I shake my head politely. 

"Nah, I'm fine here." I say, refusing his offer. 

"Eh, suit yourself!" Daichi says, still smiling.

Then we started talking, just about our hobbies. Well, it was mostly Daichi talking. he's actually  pretty interesting actually. I find out in his spare time, he studies a lot and surfs the web. He watches a lot of reality TV and anime too because he can't choose between them. Kinda interesting, but I like it. I wonder if maybe he'd let me watch sometime with him.

Suddenly, I feel the urge to tell Daichi how I ended up in this mess. Waiting for him to finish talking, I start, unable to make myself stop.

"Me and Kirika-nee's parents got divorced when I was 10 and she was 13. After that, she did everything she could to keep us from going to a foster family. She said we'd manage by ourselves - Kirika-nee looked old enough anyways in public when she put on some makeup." I say, words rushing out at first. Daichi seems surprised, but nods for me to go on.

"Later, she managed to get a part-time job at some cosmetics store - she loved it there. We lived together for a while, but one day she told me that I had to move out cause she couldn't care for the both of us. I was 18 then, so it was no big deal. with some yen, Kirika-nee sent me off to live in Osaka and find a house to rent. She also managed to get me into the University there too - but it was in the city so I had to get up early just to be there on time." 

I leave the part out about listening to Mafumafu's music to help cope with being separated from my sister, the stress from all the work and the bullying that made me stop listening to him when I was about 16. Obviously, Daichi doesn't need to know that stuff.

"Because of my appearance and the way I talked, I didn't get a job and had no friends. I guess people just thought I was a mean person - even kids would stay away from me and people would say stuff behind my back. One night, someone threw a rock through my window. But since I had nowhere else to go, and I didn't want to worsen my reputation any more, I just threw the rock away and fixed that window with some cheap tape the next morning." 

"Ehh? That's horrible!!" Daichi exclaimed, I sighed, nodding before continuing with my story. 

"A few years later, when I was 20, I met your dad. He said he would lend me some 10000 yen to pay off the bills, but I had to pay him back. I ended up using that yen quickly than I thought I would, and soon the money was all used up to pay the bills. And because I still didn't have a job, I couldn't pay him. With some begging, I managed to make him give me at least a year." I finished, looking down. "Sorry you had to hear all that."

"No, it's fine!" Daichi immediately said. "I'm glad you trust me enough to tell me about yourself, ###-chan. It makes me happy." He smiles at me, and I smile back. I really like Daichi, I realise. Maybe with his family I can start anew.

"Oh, what about you?" I ask him, and Daichi looks surprised. 

"O-Oh! What about me? Well..." Daichi looks uneasy. But before we can do anything more, I hear Yako's voice from downstairs. 

"Daichi-kun! ###-chan! Dinner's ready!!" She calls cheerfully. 

"Coming, Mom!" Responds Daichi in the same manner. He looks a bit relieved, but he smiles at me.

"Let's go, ###-chan! Mom makes good food too~" he says, winking. Unable to do anything, we walk along the hall, me trying to catch up and still wondering about Daichi's reaction. I wonder why he was so uneasy, he had a good childhood.

...Right?