Chapter 22- An Urgent Summon

Fingers tapped on a keyboard in the dark, illuminated only by the bright computer screen. Although it was hard work, it was all to keep her safe. 

There, done. A satisfied, wide grin spread across the preparator's face. Another rumour published. This headline would spread quite quickly, after all.

"My dear ###-chan, you'll be mine soon."

"I will keep you safe ❤"

I wake up in my bed, drowsy

I wake up in my bed, drowsy. Nothing has changed. It all seems as a blur as I get out of bed, have my breakfast, and head off to Osaka University. I hesitate a bit before leaving the house, listening to Mafumafu's horrified whimpers as he reads the new headline for today. I know, I've seen it too. 

"BREAKING NEWS: MAFUMAFU SUSPECTED TO HAVE ### YAMAMOTO TRAPPED IN HIS HOUSE.", is the headline for today. My brow furrows in pity upon hearing him. This must be really hard on Mafumafu after all. "Heading out then, Mafumafu-san." I say, but he doesn't even reply.

I avoid the stares and whispers as I head down the street. Everyone knows my name now.

"Hey, isn't that Yamamoto-san?"

"It's Yamamoto-san!"

"Yamamoto-san, from all the rumours?"

I keep my head down and walk faster, as if the ground and its cracks are an interesting thing to look at. I only look up when I need to cross the road, and finally I reach the university. 

"###-chan!"

"###-chan!"

Daichi rushes to meet me as soon as I set foot on campus, and wraps his arms around me. "I'm so glad to see you!", he says happily. I pat his back, nodding. "Good to see you too, Daichi-kun." I reply, putting a smile on my face after he just hugged me out of nowhere. "C'mon, let's go to our first class. It's best to get there early!" Daichi says brightly, grabbing my arm. Just as we're about to zoom to our next class, a professor approaches us. "Are you ### Yamamoto-san?", he asks. I nod "Yes, that's me.". "You need to head to the office. Your sister is waiting for you.", he says with a meek smile. What could Kirika want?, I think to myself as I nod and head off to the main building to find the waiting room inside. "Furuichi-san, off to class now." he says, turning his attention to Daichi. Powerless to say or do anything, he smiles. "Sure, Hamada-san!" Daichi chirps, and walks off. I swear I can see a shadow on his face just for a moment. It's enough to make me stop. Suddenly, the air feels cold. "Yamamoto-san?", Professor Hamada says, waving a hand in front of my eyes. I quickly snap back to reality, the warmth returning to the morning breeze. "O-Oh yes, I'll be on my way now." I nod, smiling. I walk off as well, my smile fading as well.