Chapter 62: Unravelled

"Daichi-kun....?" 

Whipping around, frightened blue eyes meet mine. 

"#-###-chan!" 

I recognise the voice all too well, confirming my suspicions. 

Daichi. 

It takes a while for me to process the fact; to take in his yellow hair, attire that he was only wearing that morning, and the knife in his hand. 

"T-This isn't what it looks like!" Daichi protests frantically, but I'm not listening to him. My gaze scans the room, before settling on a single person. 

My sister.

My breath hitches in my throat. 

How long has she been down here since I last saw her? Days? Weeks? She's been right under my feet ever since I entered, I think to myself, causing a chill to run down my spine. Kirika doesn't look like herself - starved, pale - it's a ghastly sight. It tugs at my emotions, and I choke back a sob. 

Mafumafu, Soraru and Luz are there too, and the panic sets in. Daichi's kept them all here, doing who knows what to them. Seeing Mafumafu on the ground, my stomach churns a bit.

"Why.... Would you do this?" I question Daichi in a shaky voice, looking down and balling my fists. "I trusted you." 

"I'm Daichi Furuichi!"

"We'll be together for the whole day, I hope you don't mind."

"Don't worry, ###-chan. You're really pretty!"

"Good morning, ###-chan!"

"We just need to get you someplace safe and sanitary, okay? To my house we go!"

He was so sweet back then.... But was it really all just an act? 

I can feel my memories of Daichi melt away, as my image of him changes. 

Daichi doesn't answer me, lips set in a thin line and hair covering eyes as he looks down guiltily. Or is he? It's hard to tell what he's feeling. 

I can feel the tears forming in my eyes - angry at being betrayed and deceived. 

"I TRUSTED YOU!!!" I shout at him, "WE WERE FRIENDS!!! WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THIS?!"

"I did it for you!" Daichi cries back, "They weren't good enough for you, so I had to do this!"

'Not good enough for me?', what's wrong with him? What does he even mean? At least Soraru, Mafumafu, and Kirika aren't possessive!  I can't take anymore of Daichi.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW SICK YOU ARE!!!" I scream, and slap Daichi hard on the cheek.