Chapter 21- An Indignant Refusal

"Y'know, ###-chan, you should live with me instead!", Daichi says brightly. I smile, not realising what he said until it dawns on me.

"...What did you say?" 

Daichi smiles at me sweetly. "I was just saying that you could live with me.", he repeats, still smiling. It's actually quiet unsettling. Noticing my confusion, he begins to talk. "As I said, ###-chan, I was just thinking of moving you over to my house. Since my house is big, has a lot of resources that will be useful for our studies, and we're both Osaka University students, I thought it was a good idea.", Daichi says. "Of course, you'd be provided with your own room and basic needs, so it isn't such a bad idea, isn't it?", he continues, before leaning close and cupping my cheek. "C'mon, ###-chan.", Daichi whispers sweetly into my ear, lips touching it. "It wouldn't be such a bad choice, would it?". I consider his offer for a while. This situation would benefit me a lot, from the academic resources to the big house. It would be stupid to turn down something like this. On the other hand, What about Mafumafu? Looking over to him, Mafumafu is silent. His house is pretty small, but it's decent? I'm sure he won't miss me. Just as I'm about to accept, Mafumafu shouts out. 

"No!

Both me and Daichi turn to Mafumafu, startled. "No, she won't be moving over to your house, Daichi-san.", he continues, clenching his fist. Daichi looks amused at Mafumafu's sudden outburst. "Eeh?", he asked, smirking. "You sure about that, Mafumafu-san? ###-chan can make her own choices after all, you're not the boss of her, are you?", Daichi replies confidently. I can see Mafumafu bite his lip in annoyance. He's really trying not to lose more of his cool than he has too. "M-Mafumafu-san, calm down" I say, trying to calm Mafumafu out of his mild rage. "And Daichi-kun, stop trying to provoke him.", I say over to Daichi, who smiles sweetly. "Sorry, ###-chan. I was only teasing!", he apologises, as if nothing's wrong. "Sorry on his behalf", I say to Daichi, smiling awkwardly at him. "I don't know what happened." He smiles and pats my shoulder "It's okay, ###-chan.", he replies. "He seems a bit overprotective. Are you sure about living with him?". Surprised by his sudden interrogation, I nod in reply, unsure about voicing my opinion. "A-Anyways, we should be heading back to Mafumafu-san's house. See you tomorrow, Daichi-kun!", I say, and me and Mafumafu start the walk home. He smiles, waving us goodbye. Just then, a cold wind slowly blows through the warm sunset park. 

"Hey, what was that for?"

I turn to Mafumafu as we arrive at his front door, looking for an explanation. But stubbornly, he remains quiet. "You're not making any sense, Mafumafu-san.", I sigh. "One moment, you're totally calm, the next you're getting all worked up about Daichi-kun recommending that I can board at his house to help me with my studies. What's wrong?". Mafumafu looks like he's about to say something, but stays silent. He turns the key into the lock, opening the door. Letting me in first, I walk up the stairs. Just then, Mafumafu calls after me. "###-chan, do you not like it here?". Turning, I see Mafumafu staring at me with that gaze; similar to that on the Friday afternoon earlier this week. This time, he doesn't wait for my reply, and simply walks away. Feeling my heart twist in my chest, I walk to my room silently, and when I enter, I crash onto my bed. Managing to stop the tears that almost slide out of my eyes, I let out a choked, shaky breath. Everything just feels so wrong today. Turning over in my bed, I don't hear the chime of notifications from my phone as I close my eyes.