Chapter 291 The Clash Against the Desert Lards

The day was a rather remarkable sight, as below the brilliant azure sky was a group of people belonging to different ethnicities. Most were of a deep brown skin tone while others had a lighter, more whitish hue; some having turbans with different colored cloth around their figures, as others merely wore looser wears.

Strapped around their waists and backs were various items, some having weapons as they had a warrior's build. Nevertheless, most of the others only had luggage as they were merchants escorted by another party.

A simple-looking man with dark skin and a turban over his head garb in a string patterned robe walked at the back of this party. He had golden wristbands over his wrists and sharp looking eyes that eyed their surroundings as they moved towards the oasis in the distance.

The sounds of laughing and chattering from the merchants could be heard, causing him to frown due to their conversation.

"I say, the south couldn't be at a better time; business is booming in full due to all these recent arrivals."

"Haha, indeed, even though there's a bit more chaos here and there, it's nothing compared to the factional wars with those bandits. Heck, the recent batch of special cloth are double the profit due to the sudden influx of battles."

"Eh? Well, if that's the case, I might as well get myself a batch from the enclave during this business trip."

As the merchants chatted at ease, the dark skin men and women that escorted them frowned; they didn't like how they were making light of the south's current situation.

However, it was true that only through troublesome times can one earn a great deal of profit, they were naturally making double from doing escort missions to their adobe and even selling a few of their home's specialties.

'Che! These darn merchants, if it weren't because of our current situation, we'd have never even considered selling our items to you.'

The man at the back of the group said inwardly as he glared at them and shook his head. He then paid attention to the route once more and prepared to raise his hand and shouted to the escort team, but right at this time, his eyes narrowed as he turned his head and looked behind him.

'Hmm, what's that?'

The man thought to himself with puzzled eyes. He squinted his eyes, but as it was too far away, he couldn't tell clearly; he had a bad feeling as he stared at one of the escorts and spoke, "Everyone halt! You there, I want you to scout what's coming from that direction!"

The person whom he pointed on was a dark-skinned escort with a blade on his back and a telescope-like artifact at his waist.

"At Squad Leader Tao's command."

The man replied respectfully as he took off the artifact and placed it before his eyes. He then used it to peer towards the distant sky behind them. However, the moment he saw this scene, his face turned pale.

Within the distance, a change was noticed at the giant split between a massive cliff that was currently undergoing an Element Storm. He saw many Desert Lards soaring through the sky towards their positions as if they were chasing something.

"Oh, no! Squad Leader Tao, we have to hurry on out of here! It's a horde of Desert Lards!" The man said in a voice filled with panic.

"What? How many?" Squad Leader Tao asked in alarm.

The man gulped before he replied while trembling, "I-It's over a few hundred!"

"Not good! Everyone hurry! Don't let them catch up to us!" Squad Leader Tao said as he urged his Desert Prowler.