Chapter 185 The Land of the Fallen

Want to support? Visit any of the sites below to read the full series:

Read on My Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ShadowsFinger

Read on my Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7BVPSD

*****

The soil was black as if the very earth had lost all signs of life, the plants that had once decorated a flourishing field of verdant hues long since dried up, leaving behind a dune of sand and parched earth, much like that seen in a dessert. A strange kind of green miasma now shrouding this place, carrying with it a cluster of energies that yielded the properties of Yin. It was as if this place had a special connection to those that existed beyond the realm of the living, an area that had fallen into the domain of deprived, a site now known as the Land of Fallen Geniuses...

This region had not so long ago been home to a few prominent but remote towns and villages of the Bright Flame Kingdom, the likes of which included the late Machen town. Places which though distant carried a great deal of life and activity as travelers and wanderers from all likes roamed these lands for a myriad of purposes, but now, things were different.

If one looked around carefully, they would see that through these dense amounts of miasma and yin qi was a range of shattered edifices, some being buried beneath a dune while others rested on top of the dried up earth, the unusual plants scattered across their surface giving one a dreary feeling.

A few weird sounds would occasionally resound within this quiet area as many different silhouettes could be seen spiraling around a few of these structures, they were the formless souls of those who had died an unfulfilling dead as their remnant desires had manifested into lingering spirits.

However, despite this dark atmosphere, there were those who would bravely enter into this domain as they explored for possible treasures and mysteries that may have formed by the events a few months ago.

The random silhouettes of practitioners belonging to influences along with rogues moving back and forth as they vanished with ghostly mist, seeking adventure and riches while they happily conversed amongst themselves.

"Haha! Another day, another haul! I wonder what we'll find today in this fallen land. Heh, it sure would be nice to see a corpse belonging to one of those hold faded geniuses." A large man with a scar said.

"Che! Haven't you heard? Those geniuses have already returned from the mystic realm, and they didn't die in that calamity six months ago. The only thing we'll find here are treasures belonging to the simple villagers from the nearby villages caught within the destruction's range." Another practitioner said who wore a bamboo hat.

"Bah! It doesn't matter; we'll still be earning big time even if it's just from a simple villager's corpse! Now enough jabbering and more searching!" The large man with a scar on his face said as he waved his hand towards the group around him.

"Yes leader!" The crowd of crudely dressed men and women replied as they scanned the land and remnant constructs for new treasures and bodies.

However, as this scene continued to play out for most of the surroundings with similar groups of rogues and influential parties calmly exploring these lands, there eventually came a disturbance.

"Ahhh!" Suddenly, a loud cry sounded across the area as strange energy rippled across the field, the various travelers and vagabonds now feeling a dense chilliness within their beings.

"What... what was that noise?!" One person asked, they were a part of a bandit group and wore ragged up clothing.

The man by his side now showing a look of fear as he whispered out loud, "It... it would be that would it?"