I Heard a Rumor Pt.8

Song Choice: Halsey - Control

(Y/n)'s knees were shaking but her unprincipled smile was still more than alive. "Despair will leave you left for dead. An-and I'm starting to feel nauseous from all the chills it penetrates through me just by thinking of it. Don't you see? Despair and masochism gives you the freedom where you no longer care about anything! It clears your vision on life! Like, having too much advantage would be boring don't ya think? Sabotaging yourself to get the feeling of despair is what keeps me running! It's better than drugs or weed, it's better than happiness or love, it's better than sex or money, it's better than food. It's more than a feeling, it's more than a kink, it's more than a lifestyle... it is the earth!"

Klaus was very shaken up, he totally forgot that she was like everyone else at that factory of evil... she was as mad as a hatter, or more of a cheshire cat.

"And now I'm wondering why I even want to change!" She said while rubbing a shaky hand on her red cheek. "Like why can't I be lowdown? Why-"

Klaus flicked her on the side of her head.

(Y/n) froze and regained all her calm senses. Her eyes dilated back to the normal size, her smile dropped and her face returned to its natural color. She dropped her hand from her face while her body remained frozen.

Klaus rethought about what he did and started apologizing profusely with a hand on the girl's shoulder. "Sorry! You were just kind of freaking me out and then you were talking about going back to enjoying being dishonest and dishonorable-"

(Y/n) repeatedly shook her head and rested her own hand on Klaus'. "No no no. Thank you very much, I needed that." She looked over at Five who was looking at her skeptically with pursed lips. "I'm sorry I don't know what happened to me there." She moved her hand to her chest to feel her racing heartbeat slow down, signaling that she was calming down from the sudden dissolute rush. She was scared of her own actions. Yes, it's true that she wanted to be just like Lana Griz but... she didn't want her mental state. That's always the biggest con of wanting to be just like someone, you'd also have to take the heavy weight of the negatives about them.

"I'm gonna go back to the car." (Y/n) said in monotone as she made her way to the door. Five's eyes followed her every move in sympathy for the broken, depraved girl who was trying to get back to the light to earn sanity and pure honor.

"Ok but be careful, we don't want another Home Alone 2." Klaus said, his comedic part of the sentence not intended.

(Y/n) opened the car and sat in the backseat that was closest to the left. She took a deep breath and decided to try the meditation exercise Angie taught her.

'Angie...'

She felt bad that she left all the people she cared about at the Facility. But the whole reason why (Y/n) was different from all of them was that she wanted to be good. And the others are still dead set and causing tragedies and spreading negative vibes. Are they really past being a lost cause? God (Y/n) kept creating new ways for her to be guilty... would switching to good really bring her to peace? Or would all her worries and guilt and sins still follow her so that nothing would really change.

She was only in the car by herself for about a minute or two before the right passenger door swung open to reveal Luther.

She looked at him.

He looked at her.

...

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?" He yelled and slammed the door back closed before turning to the other 3 boys.

She couldn't hear what they were saying since their voices were all muffled but she could tell they were arguing before Luther opened the right side door and shuffled to the middle seat, followed by Klaus.

The three of them were squished together. "This sucks." Luther mumbled, clearly about (Y/n). He turned his head to her. "You suck." He said again, clearly not content that a "villain" (in his words) was tagging along. (Y/n) tried her best to understand though. 'I mean, teeeeechnically I am kind of a villain. Well, was one at least.' She thought to herself. 'But aren't the good guys supposed to be forgiving and accepting? They're all such liars- No (Y/n). Stop it. One of the steps in turning into a better version of yourself is to stop hating heroes, forget about everything the Facility taught you to believe about heroes.' (Y/n) nodded to herself, determined to throw away her unscrupulous mindset.

Like Five did before, Diego was keeping a close eye on (Y/n) through the rear view mirror while they drove. He didn't trust her as far as he could throw her. He really does think they should kick her out of the car and go about their journey without worrying about the thought that she would kill them all once they trusted her enough. Now don't get him wrong, he would like to trust her and be able to rely on her due to her usefulness. He's really trying to convince himself that she's no longer their most powerful and dangerous enemy, she's their most powerful and dangerous ally. But... she's just betrayed them too many times so it's not that unbelievable to think that she would do it again.

"Why did you even leave?" Luther suddenly asked harshly, obviously talking about the Facility. (Y/n) mentally groaned, not wanting to pour her honest heart out again. She honestly only felt comfortable with sharing every last detail with Five rather than the others... So she just summed up the story to a few words. "I guess I know I belong there but... I don't want to belong there. So I thought it was best to distance myself from the place that made me a bad person in the first place. I'm working towards reinvention." 'Yup, completely all a ruse to make us feel bad for her then boom all our dead bodies are in a dumpster.' Luther stated in his mind.

"Aww do you eat Trader Joe's alone in the car while crying too?" Klaus asked (Y/n).

'Too?' Everyone thought.

"...You do that?" (Y/n) asked with an 'are you serious' look.

Klaus looked around, noticing nobody was going to relate so he stuttered out a "N-no."

Awkward silence carried on through the sunset. No one said a word as nighttime hit and they were still on the road until Klaus opened his big mouth again in hopes to reconnect Five and (Y/n).

"Five, (Y/n). Just do something you guys would normally when you're alone. Pretend we're not here." He said with a little smile. Diego and Luther both looked at him with glares.

Five rolled his eyes but fed Klaus by deciding to ask (Y/n) a question he's been thinking about for awhile, since that would be what he would ask her if they were alone right now.

"That party." He started which grabbed everyone's attention since this was the first thing he spoken in a long time. "Was everyone there in on it too?" (Y/n) gulped. 'How did he figure it out?' She obviously knew what party he was talking about, since that was her first failed attempt at killing him, but tried to play it dumb.

"What do you mean-" "You know exactly what I mean. Were they all part of the Facility? All the teens and young adults were all members with you."

(Y/n) bit her tongue not knowing what to do, her indecisiveness really biting her in the ass.

"You guys went to a college party without me?" Klaus interrupted which received no reaction from anyone who were practically suffocating in the awkward, thick tension between the two murderers.

"I'll take your silence as a yes." Five concluded, never taking his eyes off the road. (Y/n) slowly looked up, her moonlit gaze almost making Five accidentally crash the car when he looked into the mirror. He kept forgetting she was so pretty, fuck.

"How did you know?" "They all gave me these sneaky looks, like they all had an inside joke about me." (Y/n) mentally screamed in her head, those idiots almost got her cover blown. "They're good though. I almost didn't catch half of them."

The bitter aura radiating off of Five and suffocating (Y/n) made her want to jump out of the car and off a cliff.

(Y/n) kept putting herself down in her head but forced herself to believe that she's in this car for a reason, he wants to help her.

And that made her feel a little better.