𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚂𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚢 𝙵𝚒𝚟𝚎

"Hey, I'll be right back," I say and give Will a hug, shooting Mum and Dad a small smile before grabbing my phone from my pocket and walking out the back door into our garden. It's not large but it is a place where I spent most of my childhood, doing random things with Will and learning how to do flips in such with my other friends. I stare at phone, leaning against the building as I look up at the sky, calling Clay before holding the phone up to my ear.

"Hey," He speaks first when he picks up and he automatically sounds tired, like he had woken up to answer. I check the time on my wrist and quickly do the math before frowning slightly. It isn't really that early or late for Florida so he should be awake. We are usually up by now and going about our days but I push it off, not asking because I know that he is hopefully ok.

"You sound tired," I laugh lightly and look up at the blue cloudless winter spring sky. I can hear him weakly on the other side of the phone and I make a small face. "How is everything going over there?" I ask and he puts me on speaker before cussing a little under his breath and I am just now in a state of pure confusion, not sure what is going on with him. "Clay Anderson what is wrong?" I ask because I don't what he is upset or angry about and as his girlfriend I can't really help him if he doesn't tell me.

"River," Clay breaths out and pauses as if he is thinking about what to tell me. "There are some problems." He says quietly as if he was afraid of the words and I frown, leaning against the wall again.

"What problems?" I ask carefully, getting tired of the vague answers. This is how he has been and it's starting to get annoying. I can't help if I don't know what is going on and I want to help him because I love him.

"I can't tell you," Clay says after a moment and a small bubble of anger starts to rise in my chest because he keeps doing this. I don't get why but he keeps telling me stupid things like that as if I wouldn't understand. I might not know how to help but I can try my hardest if he would just tell me. "I'm dealing with it, please don't stress out, ok?" He says his voice getting quieter as he goes on.

"You can't just," I start to say after a minute but he cuts me off.

"I think we need a break," Clay tells me and my heart drops, a feeling of overwhelming hurt and confusion rushing over me. I can feel the panic rising in my chest, my fingers starting to dig into my palms as I tighten my one hand to keep myself from breaking down completely.

"Oh,"

"I'm sorry," He apologizes and I sink to the ground realizing that this isn't a joke. This isn't funny and this hurts really bad. I let out a shaky breath and nod, regaining my posture so I can sound ok to him while he is across the sea.

"No, no. It's fine." I say, my voice cracking slightly at the end and I tighten my grip on myself, pain starting to grow on the spots that my nails are digging into my skin. "I think I have to go," I tell him quietly, trying to keep myself from crying as I try to keep myself sounding strong and ok. Normal.

"Wait," He says sounding really apologetic but I don't give him the chance because I need to breath. I hang up on him in a second and sink to the ground, hiding my face in my hands while my forehead touches my knees.

"Fuck," I yell at myself because it's my fault that I actually thought I would have a future with. I throw my phone across the garden, it landing in the grass and I know it isn't broken as it is face up but still.

"River?" I hear the door slide open and look up to see Will's talk blurry figure looking down at me in what must be concern and confusion on what was happening. He quickly comes down onto the ground with me and pulls me into a tight hug which makes me feel ok, like it's safe to feel vulnerable here.

"Broke up with me," I manage to get out between sobs and I can feel Will tense up as I cling to his body.

"What?" He asks a sense of anger in his voice.

"Leave it." I tell him and pull away from his touch, wiping my eyes with the sleeves of my hoodie. Will meets my eyes and I can see that there is anger in them but he doesn't say anything knowing how I feel. We get to our feet again after a moment and he pulls me into a hug again, holding me tight like he used to when I would get hurt on the playground at school when we were littler. It's not my first heartbreak I guess, I've been with some guys before but I haven't felt the way I feel about Clay with them. I love Clay. "I'll be fine Will," I tell him and he sighs, letting me know that he isn't going to say anything about it unless I say that it is ok. "Don't tell Mum or Dad, you know how they would fuss over me." I joke weakly and Will gives me a concerned look, pulling me in for another hug.

"Are you actually ok?" He asks and I shake my head, little sobs escaping me as I hide my face in his chest. "I'm sorry, Riv." Will apologizes to me even though he did nothing and he rubs my back slightly to help me calm down. "It's going to be ok,"