You Can Count on Me

Everyone helped out with cleaning up old Corona and Rapunzel insisted on taking me home to the meadow. The king gave us a carriage and Eugene came along to drive it. Sunny sat in my lap and I ran my fingers through his fur.

"Hey, (Y/n)?" Rapunzel asked and I looked up at her. "Yes?" I saw her look down at her hands before looking back up at me. "I need you to tell me everything that happened with Varian. I know it's still a fresh wound and that you probably don't want to talk about it, but I really need to know everything." She said and I nodded. "It's okay Punz. I knew you'd want to know about what's been going on." I said as I smiled at her.

"To put it simply, the demon that has been trying to get to me for forever decided that she was going to use Varian to get to me. She had hinted at it before, but I didn't think she'd actually go after him." I said as I stared down at Sunny.

"It wasn't a full possession though. You could tell by his eyes. It was more of a partnership I think. I won't know the full details of what was going on until I actually ask Varian. My guess is that some sort of deal was made. She helps Varian free his father, and she uses his body to get what she wants. I don't think she told him what she wanted or else Varian would've said no." I said looking up at Rapunzel.

"What makes you think that?" She asked. "Think back to when we were in the lab. Varian didn't want to use me to try and get Quirin out of the amber. Varian didn't want me to melt the amber, and hasn't for a while. We even got to physically see them argue which I personally think is remarkable! I mean normally all of these decisions happen inside of the possessed persons head, but we got to actually see a conversation between the two even if it wasn't for long!" I said as I smiled only to have it fade as Rapunzel stared at me confused.

"If you knew more about this then you would definitely be impressed." I said rubbing the back of my neck. "Do you think Varian will go back to how he was before all of this?" She asked and I could see the hope in her eyes.

I sighed as I shook my head no. "While Zhan Tiri had control of his body, Varian was still able to think, see, feel, and make decisions. He was almost completely conscious the entire time. I don't think Varian would have ever done something without someone else telling him to do it and giving him ideas. Sure the thoughts might have crossed his mind, but I don't think he would actually go through with it. Now that he has gone through with it all, there is no way he could go back to how, as you said, he used to be." I watched as the little bit of hope in her eyes diminished.

"B-but, that doesn't mean he can't grow from this! Even you, Rapunzel, will grow from all of this. We all will! Sure it will take quite a bit of time, but I'm sure we can all work through this. Of course with your permission, I think that some time away from Corona will be beneficial to everyone. And I mean everyone." I said as I looked up at her. She nodded softly.

"You really want to make it up to Varian don't you?" I asked her and she ran her hands through her hair. "I do. I know that we won't trust each other for maybe a long time, but I want what's best for him." She said and I nodded.

"I think the first step is understanding. You need to understand that this whole thing is partially your fault. Now I know you didn't want any of this to happen, but it still did because of one of your decisions. I understand why you didn't come right away, but I don't understand why you didn't come and at least check up on him. I even reminded you!" I said as I smiled up at her.

"I-I was...busy." She said and I could tell she was lying. "Rapunzel, the only way to move past this is to prove to him that he can trust you. Not with words, but action. We both know where simple words has landed us. You need to keep your promises, show him that he can trust you, and he needs to do the same. And if anything happens, I'm always here!" I said smiling at her and she offered a soft one back. It was silent for a few moments.

"You promise to watch over him?" She asked and I reached my hand out to her. "I think we both know the answer to that one, princess. Just let me know when." I said smiling at her. She grasped her hand in mine. "This stays between us. I don't want Varian or the others knowing of this." She said and I nodded.

"I'm not worried about keeping it myself, but I'm worried you will. I hate to break it to you, but you're a terrible liar." I said as I giggled and she rolled her eyes. "Is it that bad?" She asked and I nodded.

"I don't want my father forcing me from this journey so it'll have to be after Eugene, Cass, and maybe a few others, have left by then." She said and I nodded following along. "How does two days sound?" I asked and she nodded.

"We will set up a meeting place, I'll make sure we wait for you both." She said and I shrugged my shoulders. "Actually I'm sure Varian and I can make it to wherever a lot faster than you can. I know the outside of Corona a lot better than you'd think." I said and she stared at me wide eyed. "Alright. I'm counting on you." She said and I smiled at her. "You can always count on me, Punz!"