The Beginning of a Love Story

The gang and I were fighting off fish people and Varian and I were back to back. Varian suddenly picked me up and I let orange surround my feet and he swung me around kicking all of the fish people away. He gently set me on the ground and...

Wait. You guys don't know what happened? You weren't paying attention were you? That's okay! I-I'll just start over! Please don't feel badly about it. It happens all the time, trust me! So to put it simply, this is a love story! No it's not about Varian and I, although our story isn't quite finished yet huh? You're right! Varian and I still have some bumps and bruises to get through on our journey. Anyways, back to this separate love story. Let's start it from the top!

Varian, Lance, Eugene, Rapunzel, and I all stared at Hookfoot as he stared dreamily out into the sea and a bug flew up his nose. "Um...somethings definitely up with Hookfoot. He hasn't moved in I don't know how long." Lance said and we stared at Hookfoot as the tide started coming in and he was almost completely submerged in the water. "I'm guessing since before low tide." Varian said and we nodded. We had all taken notice of how Hookfoot had been acting.

Cassandra had caught him cutting his toenails with a crab. Lance had caught him putting shells in his hair. Rapinzel found him trying to get food out of his teeth. I saw him reading through my incubus and succubus book. Varian and I had even caught him sneaking out of the shelter while we were star gazing in the sand and having our own little dates.

"Now I know why there's grease in my mirror handle." Eugene said and Shorty decided to butt in while he was making a duck sculpture out of sand. "Now I know why my walnut cracking stick smells like teeth!" Shorty said glaring at the sticks near him. "Maybe he's just in a good mood?" Rapunzel said unsure herself. "That's the problem. Hookfoot only has two moods: surly and...just the one mood actually." Eugene said and I shrugged my shoulders. "I-I think it might be something important. Or dangerous? He was reading some of my books." I said and Varian crossed his arms. "Frankly I didn't know he could read." He said and I nodded also not knowing he could read.

Since Eugene knew Hookfoot best, he volunteered to...well in his words not mine. He volunteered to question him with his characteristic tact and diplomacy. Varian and I had also decided to ease drop.

"What is wrong with you? You're acting strange and what is that weird thing you're doing with your mouth?" Eugene asked and Hookfoot's smile only grew. "Smiling." He said and Varian and I tried to hold back our laughter from Eugene's surprised face from our bidding spot. "Oh! That's your smile. And a-and a beautiful smile it is." Eugene said and Hookfoot's smile got even wider. "I met someone, Eugene." Hookfoot said and mine and Varian's eyes widened. "Okay, always nice to meet people." Eugene said and Hookfoot dramatically stood up. "No. A lady." "Half of us are." "No. A lady lady. You know." I shook Varian's shoulders and he solace's his hands on top of mine holding them. "You? Wow! Oh!" Eugene said and we turned our attention back to the two. "Keep your voice down." Hookfoot said before pointing towards the shelter. "I don't want the others to know." He said and Eugene smiled. "Foot, my man, you have my word. And believe me, I'm a vault." Eugene said and Varian and I turned to each other.

"Do you think he's gonna tell anyone?" Varian asked as we made our way out of our hiding spot and back to the shelter. "Eugene? Not telling someone a secret? Come on! That's like telling Hermès a secret. Everyone's bound to know by the end of the day." I said and as expected Eugene told all of us.

"Hookfoot met someone?!" Rapunzel said and Eugene nodded. "Hey!" Hookfoot yelled glaring at Eugene. "Yeah. I'm still really struggling with the whole 'this guy's a vault' thing." Eugene said and Hookfoot threw down his sandwich. Varian leaned into my ear. "So we don't tell them we were ease dropping right?" He asked and I shook my head no. "Hookfoot met someone?" Cass and Lance both asked. "Aww Hookfoot!" Rapunzel said holding his arm. "That's great buddy!" "I'm so happy for you!" "Couldn't happen to a nicer guy." Cass, Lance, and Rapunzel started saying. "Is she pretty?" Rapunzel asked and I butted in. "What's her name?" I asked. "What does she look like?" Rapunzel asked and Varian's hands went to my waist backing me up from Hookfoot and away from Eugene. I saw Hookfoot's almost murderius gaze land on Eugene. "Ooh, and he's surly again. Guys, he's back to normal!" Eugene said and Rapunzel was still gushing. "Tell us how you met her, Hookfoot! We want all the details." "Alright fine." Hookfoot said and I started getting excited. "I was collecting firewood the other day." And he continued to tell his story of how he met this wonderful girl.