I Do Adore

I woke up to the feeling of a hand running through my hair. I groaned softly and opened my eyes. I looked up and saw Varian looking down at me. "Good morning." He said smiling down at me and I sat up and waved while rubbing my eyes. "What did I miss?" I asked still rubbing my eyes. "You missed Ruddiger almost falling into the water 3 times." He said as he laughed softly.

"Three times? How did he manage that one?" I asked and Varian pointed over to Sunny. "Your cat started hunting him." I looked over at Sunny and he shrugged before sitting in my lap. "I don't blame him. Ruddiger would he an easy hunting target." I said as I scratched behind Sunny's ears.

"I'm offended and that wasn't even at me." Varian said and I laughed. "How long was I asleep?" I asked as I continued to pet Sunny. "Only a couple of hours." Varian said and I nodded. Ruddiger ran over to me and put his paws on top of my knees and giving me the biggest puppy eyes I've probably ever seen.

I rolled my eyes before letting green emit from my hands and started moving my hand around each other. I blew away the mist and handed Ruddiger the red apple in my hand. He took it from my hands and ran up and down my body before sitting at the very front of the boat and eating it. "I keep forgetting you can do that." Varian said as he stared at Ruddiger scarfing down the apple.

"I do too. I don't use it nearly as often as the others." I said and I picked up my ukulele that was on the floor before strumming it softly. "It's been awhile since we've talked about you." Varian said and I looked up at him confused. "Why would we need to talk about me?" I asked tilting my head to the side.

"Think about it. Since that whatever it is has been in my body, it was always about me and what I was doing." He said and I nodded. "To be honest there's not a lot that's new with me. I mean the next part of getting control of my powers is me passing out, but it hasn't really happened. Sure I've almost passed out, but it comes and goes. So I guess I'm just...waiting? I'm not really sure what to do next." I said as I looked down at the ukulele in my hands.

"Maybe it's kind of like the calm before the storm." He said and I thought about it for a moment. "Maybe." I said and we both nodded before smiling at each other. "Hey Sapphs?" I asked and stopped strumming. "Yeah?" He asked and I bit my lip softly.

"Are...are you still mad at Rapunzel...and the kingdom?" I asked softly. It was quiet for a minute and I heard him take a few deep breathes. Maybe to think about his answer? "I-It's okay if y-you don't want to a-answer! I-it was out of the blue I-I know." I said rambling. I paused and it was silent for a few moments.

"I really am." He said and I nodded. "D-do you still want to...you know...go after...the kingdom?" I asked softly looking up at him. It was silent for a few moments before he ran his hands through his hair frustrated. "Y-yes? No? I-I don't know." He put his head into his hands and let out a frustrated groan. "I-I'm sorry for asking. We just haven't really talked about what happened. A-and we can't just pretend it never happened." I said softly being left unanswered.

After a few moments of awkward silence I started strumming again. "I didn't know you played guitar." Varian said and I giggled. "It's a ukulele, and yes, I know how to play both." I said and I saw him roll his eyes. "The only difference I see is the size." He said and I giggled. "Actually they're very different from each other, but I won't bore you with the differences." I said as I continued strumming.

"Everything you do, it sends me higher than the moon with every twinkle in your eye." I sang softly before nudging his shoulder with mine. "You strike a match that lights my heart on fire."

"When you're near, I hide my blushing face, and trip on my shoelaces." I sang and looked up at see him staring at me with his chin resting in his hand. "Grace just isn't my fortè." He giggled and nodded agreeing. "But it brings me to my knees when you say, hello, how are you, my lady, today?" I sang softly and I felt a blush start to cover my cheeks.

"I fall into a pile on the floor. Puppy love is hard to ignore. When every little thing you do, I do adore." I sang smiling softly looking at Varian every so often.

"We're as different as can be. I've noticed you're remarkably relaxed, and I'm overly uptight." Varian sang and I laughed. "We balance out each other nicely. You wear sandals in the snow. In mid-July I still feel cold." He sang and I smiled up at him. "We're opposites in every way, but I can't resist it when you say." I sang softly.

"Hello, how are you, my lady, today? I fall into a pile on the floor." I sang smiling. "Puppy love is hard to ignore. When every little thing you do, I do adore."

I continued to strum as I looked out into the river. "Finding words, I mutter, tongue tied, twisted, foot in mouth, I start to stutter! Ha, ha, heaven help me."

"Hello, how are you, my lady, today?" Varian sang softly and I giggled. "I fall into a pile on the floor. Puppy love is hard to ignore. When every little thing you do, I do adore." Varian then pulled me so I was closer to him.

"Every little thing, ba-ba-ba-ba." I sang and smiled up at him with a soft blush dusting my cheeks. "Every little thing, ba-ba-ba-ba." Varian sang resting his forehead against mine. "Every little thing you do, I do adore." We sang together and giggled while staring into each other's eyes.

Varian's hand reached up to my cheek and caressed it with his thumb before we both started leaning in. Our lips were centimeters apart and we both closed our eyes.

"Woah!" Varian yelled causing me to jump and look at what happened only to feel something running up and down my body. I calmed down once I realized it was Ruddiger. I looked up to the river to see we had arrived. "We're here!" I said standing up and putting the ukulele into my satchel and getting off the boat. "Cmon Sapphires! Let's go check it out!" I yelled already grabbing our things.