CHAPTER 30

Choosing Lian Yufan to enter the studio was the result of careful deliberation on the part of Director Xiao and the other leaders. The battle with Yuan Luori at the amusement park had been a training drill and a test. When the poison bubbles had covered the sky, the only ones with the capability to remain conscious had been You Zhengping, Cen Xiao, and Lian Yufan. 

Of these, You Zhengping's combat effectiveness and combat awareness were outstanding among the younger generation; there was a vast difference between him and the other two. Cen Xiao fell into the category of good luck, having been rescued by Zhen Li; luck was also an aspect of capability. Lian Yufan, however, had a very clear line of thought in battle; his abilities and combat methods were better suited to battlefields he had prepared for in advance.

Comprehensively analyzing the three men's temperaments, the organization's leaders unanimously believed that Lian Yufan was best suited to act as the bridge between the Zhen Li Studio and the Protectors.

In fact, when the investigation into Yu Hua had concluded but Director Xiao had retained him in the Xuyang District, Lian Yufan had guessed this outcome. The Xuyang District was You Zhengping's jurisdiction; there were also quite a few veteran Protectors attending to it. Unless they encountered a calamity, there wasn't room in a single district for two captains, especially him and You Zhengping.

The leaders also couldn't demote Lian Yufan to deputy-captain. Therefore, he could only have been retained to carry out a special assignment. Hearing this resolution, You Zhengping frowned. He very much wanted to be the one handling this assignment, but he understood that he was the Xuyang District's captain. His family was all here, and he had an official job and identity in the Xuyang District. He wasn't suited for an undercover mission. And Yu Hua was at the studio, so he especially shouldn't join it to keep his feelings from impacting his assignment.

Lian Yufan accepted the assignment. He asked, "How should I deal with Yu Hua?"

"Wait for a suitable opportunity to arise, then find an excuse to dismiss him," Director Xiao said. "I'll have the psychologist constantly follow up on Yu Hua's psychological state. When his psychological state can withstand the stress, you'll have Zhen Li fire him." Lian Yufan nodded. He had no more objections to the assignment.

During this undercover assignment, he would have close contact with Zhen and Yuan. Using a nanotech mask was unsuitable. The Protection Organization's plastic surgeon made a few small adjustments to Lian Yufan's face, making him look slightly different from before.

Lian Yufan was twenty-six years old, unmarried, had never dated. His father had died young, and his mother had sent him to study at a military academy after remarrying. At the military academy, Lian Yufan's special ability had awakened, and he had been taken to the training camp. The Protection Organization had altered Lian Yufan's records in the household register; he now had no connection to his parents. He hadn't returned home since entering the training camp at twelve. He only sent a letter to his mother each month. His mother didn't even know what he had grown up to be like.

The surgeon compared his appearance with his photograph when he had just entered the training camp, changing the obvious characteristics he had had as a child. Now there weren't any particular similarities between Lian Yufan and the photograph taken in his youth.

He looked in the mirror, touching a teardrop beauty mark at the corner of his right eye. Dissatisfied, he said, "Isn't this kind of girly? Why do I need a mole?"

The surgeon explained, "A beauty mark can easily change the disposition of the whole face, give a person a completely different feel. Many people who go on TV dramas get this change."

"You've watched a lot of those melodramas, have you?" Lian Yufan picked unhappily at the beauty mark and was quickly stopped by the surgeon.

"All the changes I've made to your face are reversible. When the assignment is over, I'll change it back," the surgeon said.