CHAPTER 114

In that moment, Lian Yufan thought of many things. He thought of some months ago when he had received his superior's order to go to the Xuyang District and investigate whether Yu Hua had been replaced by a Destroyer. Since the person responsible for the Xuyang District, You Zhengping, was a family member of the involved individual and needed to avoid suspicion, Lian Yufan had to accept this assignment.

Lian Yufan had carefully compared Yu Hua's behavior before and after. He had firmly believed that this person was a Destroyer and had carried out a minute investigation of him. He had searched Yu Hua's home, copied his diary, taken the phone hidden under his bed. He thought how after becoming a spy in the studio, he had still been unwilling to let go. He had tested Yu Hua's bottom line many times. He had been incessantly testing him since their first formal meeting.

He thought how he had protested against Yu Hua countless times at work, how he had accused Yu Hua of being cold-blooded and stingy, of oppressing the staff and having double standards. He had wanted to threaten Yu Hua and inform against him. He thought how the black-cloaked man had repeatedly aided the Protection Organization in capturing Destroyers and had healed him. 

He thought that in the depths of his heart, he actually felt a bit of gratitude towards the black-cloaked man, as well as a hidden bit of admiration for his power. He had thought that the black-cloaked man was a kind-hearted person of lofty moral character who was willing to abide by the social order and protect the common people.

He thought of how You Zhengping had hesitatingly asked him whether he still suspected Yu Hua. Lian Yufan's thought at the time had been that if Yu Hua had superhuman powers, he could ascend into the sky to stand level with the sun, press all humanity into making money for him.  He thought of how in his investigation, he had found that Yu Hua's nature was warped; that he had an extremely powerful desire for control; that he longed to lock You Zhengping away and not let anyone see him. 

After learning this, he had dangled himself in front of Yu Hua's eyes wearing You Zhengping's pants. He thought of how he had taken an entirely dim view of You Zhengping and Yu Hua's marriage. How he had vowed countless times that a marriage between a Protector and an ordinary person couldn't be happy. That they would be divorced sooner or later.

He thought...

Time was indeed only a sensation. In an instant, Lian Yufan recalled his entire brief life. He had thought before that his life was long and tormented. Now he thought it was short and pitiful. You could see it all in an instant. Faced with Yu Hua's smile, hiding endless complicated emotions in its politeness, Lian Yufan's instincts told him that he only had one opportunity to speak. If he spoke wrongly now, some unknown fate would be waiting for him.

What should he say? What could he say? The awful power and oppressive force of this person were constantly warning Lian Yufan that this was a person with immense power. If he turned over his hand, he could hold up the sky, with his own power protect the whole of humanity; with another turn of his hand, he could pulverize the earth and create a catastrophe that would destroy the whole world.

What should he say at this moment to seize his only chance to get out alive? Lian Yufan looked at the sizzling, fragrant fish Yu Hua was holding. He clenched his fists. A stab of pain awakened his intellect. He had a piece of glass in his hand. He had grabbed it when he broke the window. This was his habit. Because of his special ability, Lian Yufan always automatically collected bits of broken things in preparation for a following battle.

Now, that piece of glass brought a sliver of light to the vast and trackless way ahead of Lian Yufan. Lian Yufan seized that bit of light. One-handed, he tossed the piece of glass towards the broken window and used his special ability. The shards of glass scattered throughout the room flew back to the window. The window was instantly as good as new.