CHAPTER 48

"He's pushed too hard!" Lian Yufan angrily arrived at work and saw President Zhen, Director Yuan, and Director Ha gathered in a circle and went over to them. "What are you doing?"

"Oh, this is the contract Director Yu sent. I printed it out in triplicate." Zhen Li took out a thick stack of A4 paper.

The contract itself didn't have many pages, but the appendix concerning the talent show script was very thick. It had all been hammered out by Yu Hua word by word with the talent show group.

"I came because of this thing," said Lian Yufan, who had been called to work on a weekend. "Director Yu called me at five-thirty this morning and told me to take you two and the official seal to their company to sign the contract. I'll take a look at what it says."

Three copies was just right for each person to get one. Director Ha didn't get a contract. It stuck up its front legs and stood up, wanting to read. Director Ha didn't really want to know the contents of the contract, it was just that huskies naturally couldn't resist getting in on the fun. If other people were together without taking it along, it felt bad!

"Awoo, awoooo," it called in an undulating voice, batting Yuan Luori's leg with its two front paws.

Lian Yufan said unhappily, "Did it use the toilet on time today?"

"Yes." Yuan Luori, who was responsible for taking care of Director Ha at night and during the day, rubbed the dog's head. "It's pretty intelligent. It studied law with me at night."

"Let's put it in the cage for now. We'll keep it in there temporarily to wear down its wild nature. Right now it doesn't have any discipline." Lian Yufan picked Director Ha up by the scruff of the neck, put it in the cage, and closed it. Then he patiently read the contract.

"This contract..." Zhen Li was the first to finish reading. He relaxed. "It's pretty good. I thought Yu Hua was going to sell you off."

Zhen Li looked at Yuan Luori. Before, the great master had appeared ready to get the hundred million by hook or by crook. Yu Hua held a contract he could use to sell off Yuan Luori; once Yuan Luori's popularity was high enough, he could easily have sold him on at a high price. That way, Yuan Luori really would have been exploited by the other company until the contract ran out, and he would have had hardly any income. When that time came, Yuan Luori, who had lost his abilities and was near-sighted and astigmatic on top of it, would have been totally miserable.

"He's making me take part in a talent show!" Yuan Luori, who hadn't finished reading yet, said angrily. "Is that also being nice to me? I want to study law!"

"...When did you acquire that dream?" Zhen Li asked soundlessly.

"You didn't read it carefully. The script is in fact very beneficial for you." Lian Yufan had finished reading it, too. He explained to Yuan Luori, "Yu Hua isn't making you join the group. He signed a contact for not joining, leaving you a lot of latitude."

"What does that mean?" Yuan Luori's studies had only reached Civil Law. He hadn't yet attacked Contract Law.

In Yu Hua's planned script, Yuan Luori played the supporting role of a character who unfortunately lost by a small margin. In the early stages, he would use his livestream popularity to increase volume and conversations. Then, when the show's popularity soared, he would become a supporting character, helping promote whatever trainee the show group wanted to promote. When he had increased their popularity, he would retire after covering himself in glory, take his law books to test into university, and fulfill his dream of legal studies.

"This is a plan where both sides win," Lian Yufan said. 

"You and the show group get mutual achievements. You bring popularity, conversation, and atmosphere for them, promote the people they want to promote, and they'll help you establish your legal studies persona while spurring on the studio's popularity and traffic. You'll only be a walk-on on the show. You won't join the group. You don't have that dream."