CHAPTER 50

You Zhengping quickly finished off two jianbing and a turnover and ran back to the Chinese restaurant. The whole process took ten minutes. When he came into the private room, he saw Yu Hua with his head turned, gazing fixedly out the window thinking about something, looking very focused.

"Wow, this boiled cabbage is really exquisite," You Zhengping praised without emotion. "The process must be very complicated. It must be delicious."

But Yu Hua turned his head, reached out a hand, and wiped the corner of You Zhengping's mouth. When he was finished wiping, there was a sesame seed on his fingertip. This had been sprinkled on the jianbing.

Smiling, Yu Hua said, "I suddenly think that jianbing is more delicious."

You Zhengping quickly got out a paper napkin and wiped his mouth, saying in a flurry, "How did you know I was eating jianbing? I chewed gum!"

"Everything you took with you when we left were things I had prepared. When did you buy the gum?" Yu Hua looked down and used his chopsticks to stir the weak leaves in his teacup.

"When did I buy it?" You Zhengping clutched his head, looking bewildered. "Weird, I don't remember. I must have bought it before the movie."

"Give me two pieces of gum, too. I'll chew them after we eat." Yu Hu opened his hand.

You Zhengping got out the whole bottle of gum and put in into Yu Hua's hand. Yu Hua massaged the plastic bottle of gum with the pads of his fingers. He said, as if indifferent, "You secretly ate ahead of time again."

You Zhengping instantly remembered how, on their day off, he hadn't gotten full eating the soup Yu Hua had made, had taken the opportunity of going out to buy something to eat barbecue bibimbap, then had been taken by Yu Hua to do back strength exercises until evening. The excessive activity had been a little too much even for a Protector like him.

"I...I wanted to eat with you," You Zhengping said falteringly. "You like the surroundings in Chinese restaurants like this."

Yu Hua had his life all taken care of. You Zhengping got his clothes when he reached for them and his food when he opened his mouth for it. Every day, there was even someone to hang his towels in a fixed spot. When it was for once time for You Zhengping to perform, he had hoped he would be able to do it as flawlessly as Yu Hua, but he had carelessly chosen the wrong movie, and he had been too busy in the morning and had forgotten to bring bread to pad out his stomach, forcing him to go buy jianbing, leaving Yu Hua alone in the private room, and even being discovered!

"Have I messed it up again?" You Zhengping said bleakly, his head drooping.

Yu Hua was sitting across from You Zhengping. The table was very large. There was a lot of distance between the two of them. The Chinese restaurant was very well decorated, with constant attention to privacy during eating and maintaining a safe distance. But none of that suited them.

Yu Hua went around the dining table dividing them, sat by You Zhengping's side, embraced him, and said, "There's nothing to mess up. For me, the most important thing about a date is for two people to do things together. I don't want you to make yourself uncomfortable to accompany me."

"But you're always accompanying me..." You Zhengping said unhappily.

"No," Yu Hua said categorically. "To me, your so called mess ups and accidents are all very interesting, far better than conventional and unalterable plans."

"But you're a little angry..." You Zhengping said quietly.

"I'm not angry. I'm a little regretful. I want to have eaten the jianbing with you. I feel like I've lost an opportunity to experience the flavor of jianbing." Yu Hua sighed faintly. Next door, Huan Zixu, who was eavesdropping by means of Feng Kui, shuddered, took out his earbud, and rubbed his arms.