CHAPTER 58

"Yu Hua!" You Zhengping was instantly burning with anxiety.

Reasonably speaking, the most ideal choice would have been to continue retreating, because the initial item was still active in the sky. If Huan Zixu used the initial item to continue snatching the Protectors' things or abilities, or used this opportunity to brainwash them, then the loss would outweigh the gain.

If this had been a reasoning test, then the most correct answer would have been—abandon Yu Hua, guard Luo Huai, retreat strategically. But in this moment, even the most rational Lian Yufan stopped in his tracks and turned to look at Yu Hua being wrapped in layer after layer of chains by the mechanical skeleton. He watched his face being covered bit by bit by the alloy chains until at last only the tip of his nose remained.

Time slowed. The passing of each millisecond seemed sluggish. To Lian Yufan, Yu Hua was a detestable colleague. He was petty, bought environmentally unfriendly decorating materials, deliberately deducted employees' wages, and used loopholes in Employment Law to exploit workers. He was You Zhengping's husband, doomed to break up with him and leave him. 

He was a man obsessed with a pair of pants, an ordinary person, a perfectly ordinary person of the sort the Protectors had to protect, a member of the general public that they had learned about countless times when studying political materials, one of 1.4 billion. "Ordinary person" = "someone to protect" >>> hateful colleague.

With his heels as a pivot, Lian Yufan turned 180 degrees, going from having his back to the Destroyers to facing them. His sprinting motion didn't change, but his direction instantly altered. Cen Xiao and Luo Huai moved at the same time he did. In the same millisecond, the three of them turned without prior agreement, heading towards the Destroyers.

Protection was the true reasoning for the Protectors. But even faster than the three of them was You Zhengping. The moment he saw that Yu Hua had fallen into the mechanical skeleton's hand, You Zhengping stared at his looted second space. He noticed that only one of the two parts of the space had been snatched. The other half was still in his control. Was there some way to get to Yu Hua at the greatest speed?

Why had the second space, which could only hold humans, split into two when it had upgraded last time? It was enough for the space's holding capacity to increase. Why did it also need to split into two? And what was the natural law power that the long-haired Destroyer had been talking about? Natural law...classical physics...quantum physics...space...

Countless concepts and pieces of information flashed through You Zhengping's mind. By some miracle, he didn't charge towards Yu Hua. Instead, he turned and walked into the half of his second space that he still controlled. If he had guessed right, then his so-called spatial power wasn't only limited to holding things!

When Lian Yufan and the other two began to turn, You Zhengping stepped into the half of the second space. When the three of them had completed their 180 degree turns, You Zhengping, wielding a sharp ceramic knife he had taken from his own stockpile in the first space, walked out of the other half of the space that had been snatched by Huan Zixu. 

He held the hilt of the knife with both hands. Before the two Destroyers could react, the long knife sliced downward. The chains holding Yu Hua and the ceramic knife simultaneously fractured! Why would the second space split in two after upgrading in power? What kind of spatial ability was a power conferred by the world law?

There was only one answer. It was a door. A door that linked and tore space. You Zhengping had walked into the half space next to him and passed through the limits of the space. When he appeared again, it was from the space that Huan Zixu had snatched! The two halves of his space had contorted distance, turning into a door that took no notice of distance.