CHAPTER 62

—XX/XX/XX, I have become a married person. This is something that I never expected a year ago.

I'm a person who likes plans. When I was twelve years old, I planned out my whole life. Go to a school that looks good to outsiders, be a student there who doesn't stand out much. After graduation, like many university students, I would find a job through my school, starting at the lowest level. I wouldn't need to exert myself to the utmost. I would work steadily, slowly relying on time and accumulation of experience to make it to the middle management level.

Before thirty, I would save enough money for a down payment, take out a loan to buy a small apartment where I could live alone, get a car with good gas mileage under two-hundred thousand yuan, live this ordinary and languid life through to the end.

It was all right if I had no ambitions or couldn't save much money. I didn't want to work very hard. I only wanted to drink a leisurely cup of black tea in the afternoons. I arranged everything, but I didn't think of feelings and blessings. These are things outside of plans, and things that I never understood before. I had even rejected them.

I told Xiao You during our blind date that I wanted to find a person who longed for a comfortable life, but this was only an excuse.

Perhaps being alone had already become a habit. I couldn't imagine spending my life with a complete stranger and accepting his circle of friends, being admitted into another family. Just imagining this picture made me shudder.

These were ideas I had before meeting Xiao You. Now, holding my marriage certificate, I'm reexamining my past ideas. I can only sigh about how changeable the world is. Plans can never keep up with change.

My considerations were indeed comprehensive. The only thing I didn't think of was that my plans were black and white. They didn't have the colors of life. I rejected everyone, and Xiao You crashed into my peaceful world and added color to it with his brush.

Thinking about it carefully, it is frightening to walk towards the grave alone. If there's someone on that road to support you and be supported, you'll have more courage. From this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.

In the base's lounge, You Zhengping turned on his personal computer and read the photographs of Yu Hua's calendar diary. After Lian Yufan's investigation, he had deleted all the electronic duplicates and sent the original to You Zhengping. Even though he had a physical copy, You Zhengping still couldn't stand to delete the electronic one and had saved it to his hard disk. The computers in the base were only connected to the internal network. The outside internet couldn't intrude. It was the safest possible computer.

He had already read the calendar diary many times. Before, he had only read sweetness in it. When he opened it again this time, he tasted bitterness. Yu Hua's current life was completely different from the one he had planned out in that diary entry.

When You Zhengping had met Yu Hua, he had been only an assistant in the human resources department, the lowest level of employee. He had seemed to have no ambition. During the year the two of them had dated, Yu Hua's position had soared. When they had gotten married, he had been only a step from senior management.

And he hadn't bought a small one-room apartment. Before he was twenty-five, he had bought a nearly two-hundred fifty square meter apartment, because You Zhengping had many friends and relatives and needed a large apartment to entertain guests.

Buying the apartment had cleaned out Yu Hua's savings, which had come from who knew where. He had struggled for a few years before having spare money again to buy You Zhengping a car that cost over 300,000 yuan, and even then he had been a little unsatisfied; he had originally wanted to buy one for between half a million and a million.