NINE

The next day, when Jungkook arrived back from Hanyang (Seoul's old name), he spent the night at the kisaeng house with Namjoon, unaware of the incident that took place the day before. As he entered the palace, he noticed that the environment was unusually silent. There were no maids gossiping in the corners, no sounds of his mother's voice echoing through the halls.

Nonetheless, Jungkook made his way to his room to change into more comfortable clothes. As he settled at his desk to write a letter to Jimin, asking about when he would visit, he couldn't shake off the feeling of unease that lingered in the air.

"Strange, it's unusually quiet today," Jungkook remarked to himself as he dipped his quill into the inkpot. "I wonder what's going on." He scribbled a few lines onto the parchment, his mind still preoccupied with the eerie silence that surrounded him.

As Jungkook sealed the letter, he heard a faint commotion outside his door. Curious, he stepped out into the hallway and saw servants whispering amongst themselves, casting nervous glances in the direction of the king's chambers.

Jungkook called out to one of the passing servants. "What's happening? Why is everyone so tense?"

The servant hesitated before responding, "I'm not sure, Your Highness. The king... he summoned someone last night in his chamber."

Jungkook's heart sank as he realized the  the servant's words. "Thank you," he said softly, dismissing the servant with a nod.

In the peaceful afternoon, Jungkook sat with his mother in the garden, savoring the tranquility of the moment. However, their peace was soon interrupted by the arrival of a maid carrying a tray of sweets and tea. She carefully placed the tray on the table and knelt down to arrange the plates, serving the tea to the queen.

As the maid prepared to leave, she was stopped by the queen's inquiry. "What is the king doing these days?" the queen asked, taking a sip of her tea with a thoughtful expression.

The maid didn't know how to answer the queen's question. How could she possibly reveal to her that the king had spent the previous night with a mere boy? She stood still, wracking her brain for a suitable response.

"I asked you something. What are you staring into space for, hmm?" The queen's voice was sharp this time, and she placed her cup on the table, awaiting the maid's answer with narrowed eyes.

"My queen, y-you don't k-know," the maid stammered, fear evident in her voice as she struggled to find the right words. She dreaded the queen's reaction, hoping she wouldn't incur her wrath for withholding information.

"What I don't know??" The queen was looking calm today not yelling and anything.

That, his Majesty, was in the company of a boy last night," the maid finally disclosed, her voice low and hesitant.

Both mother and son eyes widened with shock after hearing the maid said. The queen couldn't control her anger and immediately stood up.

"You know that what you are saying is true, right? Because if not, then you know what awaits you," the queen glared at the maid, her voice cold with menace.

The maid whimpered at the queen's threat and stuttered out, "The boy is in the servant quarters, Your Majesty." She bowed her head, hoping the queen might spare her for her cooperation.