ELEVEN

"Taehyung... When will you come back? Where are my medicines? Tae... Taehyung!"

Startled awake by his grandmother's voice echoing in his nightmare, Taehyung gasped and sat up on his mattress, his heart pounding in his chest. He took deep breaths, trying to calm himself as he looked out the window to see the sun just beginning to rise. The remnants of the nightmare still lingered, haunting him as he tried to shake off the fear and anxiety it had caused.

He got up to fetch a glass of water from the table and gulped it down, hoping to calm his nerves. As he sat back down, his eyes drifted to the cuts on his wrist. Running his fingers over the healing wounds, he sighed heavily, tears welling up in his eyes as memories of his grandmother flooded back.

Taehyung remained seated on his mattress for a few more hours, lost in his thoughts, until his door suddenly opened, startling him. He looked towards the door and saw a maid entering. She appeared to be in her mid-forties.

"Get up, boy. There is so much work to do," the maid said sternly as she stood in front of Taehyung.

"Huh?" Taehyung couldn't quite comprehend what she meant, so he simply stared back at her, puzzled.

"Are you deaf or what?! I said get up!" The maid's voice rose as she shouted, causing Taehyung to startle. He quickly scurried towards the washroom, hurriedly completing his morning routine, washing his face, and changing into fresh clothes.

The king had gifted Taehyung with many clothes, providing him with plenty of options to change into. As he returned to his room, the maid was still waiting for him, her annoyance evident in her voice.

"Ready?" she asked impatiently.

Taehyung innocently nodded his head and followed the maid out of the servants' quarters. It was still early, with everyone else still asleep or just beginning to stir for their shifts. The whole palace was shrouded in silence, creating an eerie calmness in the early morning hours.

"You will help in the kitchen and with cleaning the hallways. Understood?" The maid's tone remained firm as she continued to explain the tasks assigned to Taehyung. However, Taehyung still couldn't quite comprehend whether he was expected to work now.

"I have to do work?" Taehyung mumbled, his voice tinged with apprehension, fearing the maid's reaction.

"Yes, starting from today, you will work in the kitchen. That's His Majesty's order," the maid reiterated, her expression leaving no room for argument.

Taehyung's eyes widened in realization, forming an 'O' shape as he understood what she meant. He now had to earn his keep by working for his food. While it wasn't a new concept for him, Taehyung would gladly take on any work rather than remain a concubine.

He followed the maid obediently as they made their way towards the kitchen, ready to begin his new duties. "Start with cutting the vegetables then I'll tell you what to do next."

He approached the cutting board and knife, ready to begin his task of cutting the vegetables. Soon, other maids and servants began to enter the kitchen, filling the space with chatter and activity. Finally, Seokjin entered,

Taehyung stood to the side, waiting for Seokjin to give him orders. The maid who had brought Taehyung to the kitchen spoke up, "Jin, he's the new boy under you. You have to teach him everything, okay?"