1

As I groggily awoke to the sound of my alarm, I reached over and grabbed my phone, squinting at the screen to see the time. It read 7:23 am, and with a sigh, I pushed the covers aside and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I stumbled downstairs, where I found my dads, Bucky and Steve, in the kitchen.

"Mornin'," Steve greeted me with a warm smile, his voice filled with fatherly affection. However, instead of returning the sentiment, I gave them an absentminded look, my mind still clouded by remnants of a troubling dream that had awakened me in the early hours of the morning.

Unfazed by my lackluster response, I shuffled towards the kitchen counter, intent on making myself a cup of tea to shake off the remnants of sleep. But before I could even reach for the teabags, Bucky gently grabbed my arm, concern etched on his face.

"Doll, if someone says 'morning' to you, you should say it back," Bucky whispered, his voice filled with parental guidance. I let out a frustrated sigh, my bad mood threatening to overshadow any sense of decorum. "Morning" I mumbled, allowing him to plant a gentle kiss on my forehead.

The unease from my nightmare lingered, and I absentmindedly traced my fingers over the scratches on my hands, evidence of a restless night spent tossing and turning. Lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice Steve's stern gaze until he called out my name, his tone tinged with annoyance.

Startled, I winced and looked up, meeting Steve's disappointed expression. My heart sank, knowing I had let my emotions get the better of me once again. I glanced down at my hands, the guilt weighing heavy on my shoulders.

Without a word, I grabbed my tea and quietly made my way to the nearest seat, sinking into it as I cradled the warm cup in my hands. But my momentary peace was short-lived when Steve abruptly grabbed my arm, forcing me to face him.

"What's going on?" Steve demanded, his voice tinged with worry. "Why didn't you acknowledge us or even say 'morning'?" The weight of his words hung in the air, and I felt a lump form in my throat. I shrugged my shoulders, unsure of how to articulate the storm of emotions raging within me, and mustered a feeble apology.

As I sipped my tea, the warmth seeping into my bones, I felt a mixture of gratitude and guilt for the love and concern my dads showered upon me. But before I could fully compose myself, Steve called me once again, this time with an impatient tone.

I trudged downstairs, irritation clouding my features as I confronted him. "What?" I snapped, my tone a mix of annoyance and defiance. Steve looked at me, surprise evident in his eyes, before his expression softened.

"Missy, first and foremost, you need to stop this behavior," Steve admonished gently, his voice tinged with fatherly concern. "It's not fair to us or to yourself. And secondly, we need to go shopping, so you're coming with us."

I stared at him blankly, the defiance welling up inside me. I wanted to assert my independence, to retreat into the safety of my own space. "Firstly, maybe," I retorted, my voice dripping with rebellion. "Secondly, absolutely not."

Steve let out a sigh, his disappointment palpable. He looked at Bucky with a look of disappointment.

Bucky's voice, a mixture of concern and anger evident in his words. "So, listen!" he exclaimed, his frustration seeping into his tone. I rolled my eyes, my defiance growing stronger by the second.

Bucky continued, "alright no! This girl is driving me crazy." With those words, he walked away leaving me with a sinking feeling in my chest. The weight of their disappointment and frustration was too much to bear. I felt the sting of tears building behind my eyes, threatening to spill over.

Trying to regain control over my emotions, I turned away and stormed off to my room, seeking solace in the familiarity of its walls. Locking the door behind me, I collapsed onto the bed and succumbed to the flood of tears that I had been holding back for far too long. The pain of being bullied by my classmates, the loneliness and isolation I felt, all came crashing down on me at once.