27

The next morning, I descended the stairs of the compound and noticed a blond woman standing there. Curiosity piqued, I approached her and inquired, "Who are you?" With a warm smile, she introduced herself, "Pepper Potts. And you?" I replied, "Y/n... What are you doing here?"

Pepper explained, "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm Tony Stark's wife. And this little one here is Morgan, our daughter." Her words struck a chord within me, and a smile crept onto my face. "Nice to meet you," I said softly, revealing my own name. "Y/n Barnes Rogers, 12 years old."

Returning the smile, Pepper nodded, and at that moment, Morgan let out a joyful cry, exclaiming, "Daddy!" She ran toward Tony, embracing him tightly. He called everyone to gather downstairs, introducing his wife and daughter. "This is my wife, Pepper, and our wonderful daughter, Morgan. They were on vacation."

Soon after, I approached my dads, eager to discuss an important matter. "Um, so... I don't have a fever anymore, and I feel good. So, can I start training again?" I asked, hopeful. Confusion filled Steve's face as he replied, "What do you want?" Trying to clarify my request, I continued, "Can I resume my training with you guys?"

All eyes turned to me, and Bucky interjected, "No. You're not going on any missions with us, never." Disheartened, I sighed and turned away, heading upstairs to change before leaving the compound.

I found solace at Mia's grave, pouring out my heart to her and shedding countless tears. In the midst of my grief, I felt a gentle grip on my arm. I glanced up, and there stood Wanda, tears welling up in my eyes once more. "I want to die too..." I whispered, barely audible, hoping she wouldn't hear. But she did, and in an instant, she took hold of my arm, guiding me back home.

Rushing upstairs, I sought solace in the confines of my room, attempting to cry quietly. However, Morgan discovered me on the floor, clutching a picture of Mia in my hands. Sensing my distress, she questioned, "Hey, what's wrong?"

Meeting her gaze, I replied with a heavy heart, "You wouldn't understand. Please, go to your parents. I need some time to think." Morgan smiled empathetically and scurried downstairs.

Alone once more, tears cascaded down my cheeks uncontrollably.

Downstairs, Morgan approached Pepper, puzzled. "Why is y/n crying?" Pepper glanced at Tony, sharing her confusion. Concerned, Tony confronted Wanda, demanding, "What did you do to y/n? Why is she crying?" Wanda explained, "I found her by Mia's grave, crying. She said she wants to die too, so I brought her back home."

Having heard the exchange, Steve and Bucky realized it was best to give me space, knowing that I wouldn't be receptive to their comfort or explanations.

After thirty minutes, my sobs subsided, and I made an effort to compose myself. Descending the stairs with earphones in place, I drowned out the world with music, oblivious to the conversations around me.

While preparing tea, Peter unexpectedly touched my shoulder, causing me to startle. In my shock, I accidentally spilled the scorching liquid all over him. Panic-stricken, I grabbed paper towels, apologizing repeatedly through my trembling voice. Minutes later, Peter burst into laughter, leaving me utterly bewildered.

Through fits of giggles, he finally managed to say, "Hahaha, sorry. I just wanted to prank you." I stared at him, wide-eyed, as a mix of relief and confusion washed over me. Laughter enveloped the room, but it soon dissipated as everyone's gaze shifted away from me.

Confused, I questioned, "Um, alright. What's wrong?" Their avoidance perplexed me. Just as I turned to walk away, Loki seized my arm, his grip growing tighter. Struggling, I pleaded, "Could you please let me go... You're hurting me." But his grasp only tightened, compelling me to strike back in self-defense. My hand made contact with his cheek, leaving a crimson mark.

Once again, all eyes were on me, their gazes filled with disbelief. Steve attempted to approach me, but I darted upstairs, locking myself in my room. From behind the door, I heard Steve's persistent knocking. Fearful, I reluctantly opened it, and he immediately grabbed my arm, leading me to the timeout bench.

Desiring solace, I asked Peter if he could fetch my book. He kindly obliged, and as I began reading, an hour passed. In that time, my dads, caught up in their interactions with Morgan, inadvertently forgot about me. With a sense of abandonment, I rose from the bench and wandered into the kitchen.

Furious, Steve reprimanded, "I told you to sit there for 15 minutes!" Tears welled up, and I stammered, "Yeah, well, I was sitting there for an hour, and you both forgot about me!" Overwhelmed by emotions, I dashed out of the room and sought solace by the river where Mia had tragically perished. Seated by its banks, I contemplated my pain, yearning to unleash my anger on the frozen water.

Suddenly, everything went black...