43

The scene unfolded before their eyes, a mixture of concern and fear etched across their faces. Witnessing my impending attack on Flash, Thor swiftly intervened, pulling me away from the brink of violence. In a moment of uncontrollable anger, I fired a shot at the wall, the bullet leaving a gaping hole as it seared through the surface.

"Why?!" I shouted, my voice filled with anguish. "I had him!"

Thor's voice held a note of urgency as he suggested, "We should bring her home."

Reluctantly, they guided me away, but I fought against Flash, determined to break free from their grasp. Bruce, recognizing the need to subdue me, administered a powerful injection. Gradually, my strength waned, and I succumbed to unconsciousness in the protective arms of Thor.

When I regained consciousness, I found myself surrounded by the concerned faces of my teammates. Attempting to sit up, I realized with a sinking feeling that I was securely tied to the bed, immobilized and unable to move. Bruce approached me, carrying yet another injection, and I instinctively struggled against my restraints. However, their combined strength held me firmly in place, and tears streamed down my face as I cried out, "W-why..."

Bucky, his own eyes brimming with tears, tried to reach out to me, but my bound state prevented any physical contact. I screamed, my voice filled with anguish, my heart shattered by the helplessness I felt. The question of why this had happened remained unanswered, intensifying the torment within me.

In the midst of my despair, they subjected me to a battery of tests, further exacerbating my physical and emotional pain. Hours passed, and finally, they released me as I grew increasingly ill, my body succumbing to the strain. My weakened state was evident as I doubled over, retching, but Bucky caught me, providing a much-needed anchor amidst the storm.

For hours, I lay on the couch, trembling, with Bucky cradling my head in his lap. His soothing touch, the gentle strokes through my hair, offered a glimmer of solace. Still, the weight of the world pressed upon me, as I succumbed to painful flashbacks of moments shared with Mia when she was alive. The tears flowed freely, each drop carrying a profound sense of loss.

In my anguish, I attempted to rise, to escape the overwhelming flood of emotions. Yet, my legs, weakened not just from the motorbike accident but also from the injections, tests, stress, and emotional breakdowns, failed to support me. Peter's swift action prevented me from falling, and in that moment, Wanda reached out, her voice filled with empathy.

"Hey, little one," Wanda began gently, her words carrying a hint of understanding. "Look, I know I don't... I can't fully comprehend what you're going through, but... hey, look at me. Please, don't dwell on her memory. It will get better, I promise, okay?"

My dads, aware of the depth of my pain, wrapped me in their arms, sharing stories and providing words of comfort. Still, the torrent of grief left me breathless, my lungs struggling for air. Tony carefully settled me onto the couch, while Steve tenderly stroked my forehead, seeking to lull me into sleep, to offer respite from the anguish.

I succumbed to their efforts, and in the hushed tranquility of the room, Bucky's voice filled the air with a haunting melody. The sound resonated within me, lulling me closer to slumber. Eventually, fatigue claimed me, and I drifted into a restless sleep.

Hours later, I stirred, feeling the gentle shake of someone rousing me from my troubled dreams. Opening my eyes slowly, I found Steve's compassionate gaze upon me. A faint smile graced his lips as he whispered, "Food is ready, little miss."

Yawning, I struggled to shake off the remnants of sleep. Steve offered a helping hand, assisting me in rising from the couch. My weary body protested, but determination pushed me forward, propelling me toward the table.

"I'm not that hungry," I murmured, my appetite diminished by the weight of my grief.

Bucky, ever the steadfast support, urged me not to be too hard on myself. Frustration tinged my voice as I replied, slightly annoyed, "Sorry, but what don't you understand about 'I'm not hungry'?"

Clint's presence added an unexpected layer of tension as he remarked, "She wants it the hard way."

A surge of anger coursed through my veins, fueled by the overwhelming emotions that still gripped me. Acting on instinct, I broke free from Thor's grip and ran off, my legs protesting against the strain. In a desperate attempt to find solace, I locked myself in my room, seeking sanctuary from the suffocating weight of my sorrow.

Outside, a persistent knocking echoed through the door, but I remained resolute, securing myself in the confines of the bathroom. Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I recoiled from the image before me, overwhelmed by feelings of ugliness and inadequacy. In that moment, driven to escape the pain that consumed me, I made a fateful decision. I compelled myself to purge, seeking release from the anguish that threatened to consume me whole.

Within minutes, the door splintered under the force of their entry. Bruce and Tony stood before me, their expressions a mix of concern and determination. They swiftly lifted me in their arms, carrying me away, their intent clear — to save me from myself.

Steve and Bucky waited anxiously in the car, their worry etched across their faces. Resisting their hold, I fought against their attempts to control me. Yet, as we arrived at the hospital, their desperation for my well-being overpowered my resistance. The doctors intervened, offering guidance and support to my dads, who were determined to help me heal.

Back at the compound, I found myself confined to the presence of the Avengers, their watchful eyes a constant reminder of the fragile state I was in. Throughout the day, they remained vigilant, ensuring I was never alone, determined to shield me from the depths of my despair.

Immersed in sorrow and grappling with the weight of my emotions, the road ahead seemed bleak. Yet, in the company of those who cared, there flickered a glimmer of hope. The journey toward healing had only just begun, and the pain that threatened to consume me would be met with resilience and unwavering support.