26

A few days later, after recovering from my illness, I was finally allowed to return to school. Reluctantly, my dad accompanied me, but I was filled with grumpiness and an intense hatred for the educational institution. So, I entered the building, radiating frustration.

However, my dad realized they had forgotten something and hurriedly stepped out, only to Flash swiftly walk up to me, grabbing my arm with a mischievous grin. "Well, hello there, beautiful. How are you doing?" He exclaimed. Annoyed, I pushed him away and averted my gaze.

Yet, flash determination prevailed as he cupped my face and continued, "Oh, don't be grumpy, Mia was just a girl." Before I could respond, my dad returned, having overheard the exchange. I felt the surge of anger as I snapped back, "She wasn't just a girl, she was my best friend! And my dad's will be here soon, so if I were you, I'd kindly fuck off!"

Unbeknownst to me, my dads had arrived silently behind me. Flash, oblivious to their presence, inquired mockingly, "Oh, and who are your dads? The garbage men?" The room fell silent as I locked eyes with him and replied firmly, "No, they're super soldiers. Captain America and the Winter Soldier. Do you even know who they are? You don't stand a chance!"

Flash simply looked at me, rolling his eyes dismissively. "Oh, come on. Are you five years old? Don't play dumb. And even if they were... First, Cap couldn't do anything without that shield, and the Winter Soldier wouldn't be anything without his metal arm!" Enraged, I stared at him and demanded, "Take it back!"

But instead of apologizing, Flash laughed in my face. In that moment, my fury reached its peak, and without hesitation, I unleashed a flurry of kicks and punches at him. My dads swiftly intervened, grabbing hold of me and escorting me to the principal's office. They were both relieved that I stood up for myself but also disappointed by the violence.

As we walked out of the school, they wore a mixture of happiness and anger. I bid farewell to my friends and watched as they walked away. Later, when school ended, I spotted my dads waiting in the car. Approaching them, they greeted me and asked if I was looking forward to anything. Hesitant, I replied, "Well, I have dance class today." Steve chuckled softly while Bucky glared at Flash, revealing his metallic arm. Flash shifted his gaze uncomfortably.

Observing the scene, I couldn't help but laugh, and Bucky's stern expression softened. He opened the car door for me, and I gratefully climbed inside. As we arrived back at the compound, all eyes turned towards us, smiles spreading across the faces of the other Avengers. My dads placed a hand on my back, a signal for me to proceed directly.

With a sigh, I walked up to Nat and embraced her tightly, then made my way to Peter and Loki, showering them with hugs as well. After a couple of hours, we all headed to my dance group, as we had a dance battle scheduled. Miraculously, my group emerged victorious, and the sight of my dads' proud faces filled me with immense joy.

Entering the changing room, I quickly changed my clothes. Suddenly, a girl named Sophie entered, a fellow member of my group. She approached me with kind words, saying, "Hey, uhm, Y/n, right? You're an amazing dancer. I love your moves. You're really talented. I just wanted to say, Mia... she was a friend of mine, and whenever we were together, she never stopped talking about you. She loved you so much..."

A bittersweet smile formed on my lips, and tears threatened to escape, but I bit down on the inside of my mouth to hold them back. Sophie enveloped me in a warm hug, and in a hushed voice, I managed to reply, "Thank you..." We exchanged phone numbers, and after changing, we left the changing room together.

Saying goodbye to Sophie, I hugged her once more before making my way to the waiting car where my dads and the other Avengers were waiting. Just as I reached for the door handle, Flash's voice pierced through the air, calling my name. Reluctantly, I turned to face him, intending to ignore him and enter the car, but he seized my hand, his grip tightening.

"Now you're not gonna run away, you bitch!" he sneered. Determined to free myself, I tried to break free from his grasp. Sensing the tension, Bucky swiftly opened his door, and in that moment, fueled by adrenaline, I unleashed a powerful punch, causing Flash to crumble to the ground. My hand throbbed with pain, blood trickling from the wounds, but I hurriedly entered the car as my dads drove away.

Throughout the night, we celebrated and enjoyed ourselves until the early hours. However, my dad's cheerful demeanor soon faded, replaced by a stern expression. "Come on, Y/n, it's time for you to go to sleep," Steve declared. I protested, "Aw, man, come on..."

"No!" Steve's voice carried authority, and Bucky chimed in, "No 'buts,' Y/n." Defeated, I sighed and reluctantly climbed onto my bed, preparing to sleep.

Just as I settled in, my dads leaned down to me, their faces filled with affection, and they kissed me goodnight. The room fell silent, and a lingering sadness filled the air. It was a reminder of the pain I had endured, the loss of my best friend, and the challenges I faced each day. But in that moment, embraced by the love of my dads, I knew I wasn't alone