14

I awoke to the sound of rain pelting against the windowpane. Feeling a sense of melancholy, I changed into a fresh outfit and made my way downstairs. Seeking solace, I plugged in my earphones and immersed myself in the music.

A notification flashed on my phone, but it wasn't from Mia. Instead, it was from Flash, Lukas, and Liz. Annoyed by their messages, I chose to ignore them and powered off my phone. Opting for a cup of tea and toast, I prepared my breakfast, aware of the collective gaze fixed upon me. Irritated, I walked away without uttering a word.

I changed my attire once again, as I felt the urge to venture outside. Heading downstairs, I bid everyone farewell, ignoring their likely displeasure at my lack of inquiry. All I could think of was finding Mia. However, upon arriving at her house, I was informed that she hadn't been there. Panic welled up within me, and tears threatened to spill from my eyes. I combed through alleys and scoured shopping centers in a desperate attempt to locate her, but my search proved fruitless.

Utterly distraught, I sobbed uncontrollably before eventually making my way back home. Hastily retreating to my room, I changed clothes, overcome by a torrent of emotions. My dads entered the room and found me collapsed on the floor, tears streaming down my face. Concerned, they inquired, "What's wrong, baby?"

Unable to speak, I shook my head and managed to whisper, "Mia... no one can find her... she's missing." My sobs intensified, consuming me completely. Bucky scooped me up, placing me gently on my bed, while Steve shared Mia's phone number with Bruce, urging him to track her phone. Mia's location was traced to an alley in a neighboring city, unbeknownst to me.

Hope mingled with fear as I prayed for Mia's safety. In the midst of my tears, my dads entered the room, attempting to comfort me. Bucky assured me, "Dolly... I know it's hard, but she will wake up soon, I promise."

Steve echoed his sentiments, adding, "I believe that too."

With a heavy heart, I shook my head in disbelief. Clinging to my dads, we sought solace in each other's embrace until sleep eventually claimed me.

In the darkness of the night, I succumbed to nightmares. A chilling vision unfolded before me—I sat on a park bench as Mia approached, her body drenched in blood. My heart pounded as unseen assailants seized her, stabbing her mercilessly before casting her lifeless form into the water. Overwhelmed, I wept, my dad's jolting awake and desperately attempting to rouse me from my torment. After a couple of minutes, I gasped for breath, my body trembling against Steve's chest.

Bucky prepared a cup of tea, handing it to me with care. Steve gently inquired, "Missy, do you want to tell us about your dream?"

Shaking my head, unable to articulate the horrors that plagued my mind, I simply sipped the tea. As the warmth coursed through me, I leaned against Steve once more, finding solace in his comforting presence as sleep overcame me once again, albeit briefly.

My slumber was interrupted by two more nightmares, leaving me with a mere four hours of restless sleep. The next morning, I descended the stairs, only to find Natasha already present. Approaching her, I greeted her with a hopeful question, "Good morning. So, will I have training today?"

To my disappointment, Bucky interjected, "No."

Frustrated, I questioned, "Oh, come on! Why not?"

Steve interjected, "You haven't even slept for five hours, missy."

Sighing in resignation, I accepted the reality of the situation.

Preparing to visit Mia in the hospital, I made my way upstairs, but my dads intercepted me. Their concerned voices rang out, "Where do you think you're going, honey?"

Stammering, I replied, "Um... just, uh, I don't know..." Deep down, I yearned to visit Mia, who was lying in the hospital bed.

"Y/n, sorry, but you will stay here," Steve stated firmly.

Challenging his decision, I retorted, "And why should I?"

Bucky intervened, his tone gentle yet firm, "Hey, doll, be nice. It's raining, and it's cold outside."

Reluctantly, I sighed, running upstairs to exchange text messages with my boyfriend. Lukas expressed his anger over my absence from the party, claiming that I never had time for him. Anxious not to lose him, I pleaded, "Please, don't leave me."

His response brimmed with indifference, "OMG, don't be so dramatic."

Resigned, I agreed, "Okay, I'll go to the next party with you."

He set a time for midnight, assuring me he would pick me up. Our conversation concluded, and I descended the stairs, finding my dads engrossed in merriment. Initially, I considered turning away, but their voices called out to me, beckoning me closer.

"Hey, Dolly, come here," they urged.

With a sense of curiosity, I approached them, eventually finding solace in Bucky's embrace. After a few minutes, the exhaustion overwhelmed me, and I succumbed to sleep, finding comfort in their presence once more