42

I had a vivid dream last night that shook me to my core. It was Mia's funeral, and the sorrow overwhelmed me, even in my sleep. I found myself crying uncontrollably, my emotions pouring out. Suddenly, Sam burst into the room, sensing my distress. He rushed up the stairs and enveloped me in his arms, soothing my troubled heart. In that moment, I clung to him desperately, refusing to let go.

The dream transitioned to the morning, around 8 am, and I reluctantly woke up, feeling the weight of the previous night's emotions still lingering. As I made my way downstairs, I noticed everyone else was already awake, gathered around for breakfast. Just then, an unexpected knock came at the door, interrupting the somber atmosphere. Tony answered the door, and to my surprise, Sophie entered the room.

I glanced at her, my voice trembling as I asked, "Um, hey, what are you doing here?"

Sophie, appearing distant, replied, "Bringing you some things."

Confusion mixed with hurt welled up inside me, and I couldn't help but ask, "Why are you ignoring me?"

She attempted to walk away, but I reached out and grabbed her arm, my voice quivering with desperation. "Just leave me alone? Okay? You think I'm perfect? Mia loved you and despised me because of YOU! You're better than me at everything! Why can't you stop?"

Sophie's gaze hardened, and she retorted, "Well, if you love her so damn much, then why aren't you with her?"

Tears welled up in my eyes, and in a moment of overwhelming anguish, I impulsively grabbed a knife from the table and cut myself. Bucky rushed to my side, snatching the knife away, while Tony escorted Sophie out of the room. Steve skillfully bandaged my wounded arm, but the pain, both physical and emotional, persisted.

Seeking solace, I made my way upstairs, overwhelmed by the foolishness of my actions. My hand throbbed, a constant reminder of the pain I couldn't escape. Steve approached me, his voice filled with concern. "Y/n, I know it's difficult right now, but we won't lose you," he reassured me gently.

I nodded, unable to find the words through the pain. Bucky interjected, "So, we've decided that you'll stay with us. That way, you won't be alone, and you'll be sleeping in our room."

Sighing heavily, I acquiesced, my legs aching as I settled into a seat. Steve squatted in front of me, his gaze filled with empathy, and I struggled to articulate my thoughts. But the pain overwhelmed me, and I knew any attempt to speak would only result in tears.

In a tender gesture, Steve scooped me up into his arms, holding me close. A solitary tear slipped down my cheek, which Bucky promptly wiped away. Mustering strength, I descended downstairs, where the others were waiting. Peter enveloped me in a tight hug, and I fought back tears, determined not to break down. However, my phone buzzed, shattering the fragile peace that momentarily enveloped me. Glancing at the screen, I saw Mia's number calling.

With trembling hands, I answered the call, my voice quivering, "Hello? Who's there? How did you get this number?"

A mysterious voice responded, and I instinctively put the call on speaker, allowing everyone to listen in. I attempted to end the call, but the voice continued, "Yeah, Mia. She was awesome."

Confusion gripped me, and I stammered, "What?"

The voice continued callously, "I'm sorry that she died. But do you know why?"

Struggling to hold back tears, I managed to reply, "I think s-"

Interrupting me, the voice revealed a horrifying truth, "Because I raped her, and I did this every day until she killed herself. It's not Peter's fault."

Shocked and on the verge of tears, I glanced at Peter, whose eyes filled with sadness, confirming the devastating revelation. In a surge of emotions, I demanded, "How do you know Peter?!"