32

They gently placed me back on my bed, their tender kiss on my forehead a fleeting comfort before they quietly left the room. The nightmare that had plagued my sleep, like a relentless storm, had left me drenched in tears and sweat. The vivid images lingered in my mind, haunting me, as I tried to make sense of the torment that had unfolded in my dreams.

In that nocturnal realm, I found myself navigating the treacherous hallways of my school, only to be met with a chorus of laughter and malicious intent. The echoes of their cruel taunts reverberated through my being, as I cried out for mercy, pleading for the torment to cease. But my pleas fell on deaf ears, fueling their sadistic amusement, until even Mia, once a friend, joined the chorus of ridicule.

Fleeing from that nightmarish scene, I sought solace within the walls of my home, only to find the cruelty had followed me. Every word that pierced the air, laden with contempt and disdain, further chipped away at the fragile armor I had built around my spirit. Bucky's hand, heavy with frustration, met my cheek with a stinging slap, while Steve's fist collided with my body, the pain serving as a harsh reminder of my worthlessness.

Lost in the depths of despair, thoughts of self-harm encroached upon my fragile psyche, as I believed that my existence held no significance. The vision of my lifeless body, neglected and unnoticed, consumed my thoughts, as the world around me remained indifferent to my silent cries. In that dreamlike state, where the colors had faded to shades of gray, the rawness of my despair felt all too real.

Startled awake by the nightmare's grip, I found myself drenched in tears, my cries echoing through the quiet of the room. Sam and Pietro, alert to my distress, rushed to my side, their urgent attempts to rouse me from my nightmare met with limited success. Pietro, with a tenderness that touched my wounded soul, cradled my trembling form against his chest, offering a fleeting respite from the torment that plagued my dreams.

As the minutes ticked by, exhaustion claimed me once more, and I found solace in the sanctuary of sleep, nestled within Pietro's comforting embrace. The transition from turmoil to tranquility offered a temporary reprieve from the demons that haunted my subconscious. Pietro gently laid me back down, tucking the covers around me, as I surrendered to the embrace of much-needed rest until the first rays of dawn.

Morning arrived, and with it a renewed sense of determination. Rising from my bed, I changed my clothes, silently vowing to face the challenges that awaited me. Descending the stairs, I caught sight of Peter, his presence a comforting beacon in the midst of uncertainty. His invitation to watch "Titanic" brought a flicker of joy, a reminder that moments of respite could still exist amidst the chaos of life.

Together, we found solace in the shared experience of watching the film, our laughter and gentle touches forming a shield against the harshness of the world. As we prepared a simple meal, the taste of strawberries and other berries provided a fleeting moment of sweetness, as if nature itself sought to offer solace in the face of adversity. Even my dad's, observing our shared meal, found solace in the sight, their smiles a balm to my wounded soul.

The morning rays danced through the window, casting a warm glow upon us as Peter and I cuddled together, finding comfort and safety in each other's arms. Fatigue quickly claimed me, and I succumbed to a deep slumber, the weight of the world momentarily lifted from my weary shoulders.

"Mornings!" Morgan's voice echoed through the house, bringing me back to consciousness. Rousing myself, I greeted the day and crossed paths with Morgan in the hallway, her eyes fixed on the marks that marred my face.

Concern etched across her features, she questioned, "What happened to your face?"

Caught off guard, I met her gaze and replied with a half-hearted excuse, "I... I don't know. It just happened. But good morning."