16

I found myself utterly exhausted, succumbing to a deep and restless sleep that provided no respite from the heaviness that weighed upon my heart. The following morning, I dragged myself out of bed, the weight of exhaustion pulling at my every step. Descending the stairs, a bleakness settled over the house, matching the shadows that clung to my spirit. It was then that Tony's phone pierced the silence, his casual conversation with a stranger serving as a bitter reminder of life's trivialities.

But before I could retreat into my own thoughts, Bucky's voice shattered the fragile tranquility, a harsh reminder of the cruel reality that awaited me, "Alright, Y/n, you must go to school."

I rose wearily from the couch, my steps heavy as I followed Bucky to the car. Mia, my closest confidante, was absent, her presence an immeasurable void that gnawed at my soul. The car ride to school was a solitary journey, the empty seat next to me a constant reminder of the laughter and camaraderie we once shared. Every mention of Mia's name sent tremors of pain through my fragile heart, threatening to unleash a torrent of tears that I could no longer contain.

As the school day crawled by, I endured the echoing emptiness of each classroom, feeling isolated and adrift in a sea of sorrow. When the final bell rang, signaling the end of the day, I climbed into the car, my solitude amplified by Mia's absence. The question lingered on my lips, desperate for an answer, "Where's Daddy?"

Bucky's voice faltered, a palpable sadness seeping into his words, "He... um, he's at home." I stared at him, longing for a glimmer of truth in his eyes, but found only evasive silence. My gaze turned to the passing scenery outside the window, a futile attempt to distract myself from the ache within.

As we arrived home, I sought refuge in the solace of my room, the walls serving as silent witnesses to my anguish. But tranquility was short-lived as Wanda's voice resonated through the house, beckoning me downstairs to the dining table. The atmosphere was heavy with unspoken sorrow, the gazes of my loved ones fixed upon me, their expressions filled with sympathy I could not bear. In a feeble attempt to understand, I implored, "What is wrong?"

Thor's voice wavered, his words falling short of the truth that hung heavy in the air, "Nothing." I shrugged, the weight of their secret burdensome upon my already weary shoulders, and joined them at the table. As gratitude escaped my lips following the meal's conclusion, I longed to retreat to the sanctuary of my room, seeking solace in solitude. But before I could disappear into the shadows, Bucky's hesitant voice pulled me back.

"Um, Y/n..." he stammered, his voice cracking under the weight of his grief.

My breath caught in my throat, hope flickering in my chest, "Yes?"

Bucky struggled to find the words, his anguish tangible in the air, "Mia, she..." His voice trailed off, unable to complete the devastating sentence.

My heart pounded in my ears, the deafening silence screaming the truth that I feared most. "She woke up?" I interjected, a flicker of hope reigniting within me, desperate for a miracle.

And then, with a single, devastating blow, reality shattered my fragile dreams. Bucky's voice cracked as he uttered the words I dreaded, "Honey... we're so sorry."

Time stood still as the truth crashed over me, waves of grief crashing against the walls of my shattered heart. A scream rose within me, but the sound died on my lips as I crumbled to the floor, consumed by an all-consuming sorrow. Tears cascaded down my face as I wailed in anguish, "YOU PROMISED ME! YOU PROMISED ME SHE WOULD SURVIVE!"

The weight of broken promises pressed upon me, crushing my spirit, leaving me drowning in a sea of shattered dreams. "Everything is gone! I... I have nothing! Why? You said...! You said that she would... that she would survive!? Nothing... I... I can't even..."