47

As I rose from my slumber, a heaviness settled upon me as I realized that everyone had already left. Walking into the kitchen, my eyes fell upon a birthday card placed on the counter.

Dear y/n,
We're deeply sorry that we couldn't be here with you today...
Please find it in your heart to forgive us...
We hope to throw a belated party for you tomorrow...
We truly hope you're alright.
Please, don't do anything reckless until we return!

With all our love,
(Everyone's signatures adorned the card)

Tears welled up in my eyes as I sank to the ground, overcome with emotions. The whole day passed in a haze of sorrow, until I stumbled upon a cabinet containing alcohol. My voice filled with despair, I muttered, "Happy birthday..."

I consumed the alcohol with reckless abandon, the pain in my heart driving me deeper into despair. By the time evening arrived, around 10 pm, the sound of everyone's return reached my ears. Inebriated and emotionally drained, I mustered the strength to stand.

Tony's voice bellowed through the room, "What the hell happened here?!"

I shrugged my shoulders, finishing off one of the bottles in my hand. Steve hurriedly approached, wresting the alcohol away from me, his voice filled with anguish, "What were you thinking?! Why did you do this?!"

In a haze, I mumbled, "I don't know... It's my birthday, so what?"

Bucky's voice cracked with sadness, "We had to go on that mission."

The words spilled out, a bitter mix of anger and hurt, "Yeah, I know... It's so fucking important that even if I were to kill myself right now, you wouldn't give a damn about me, right?!"

Steve's voice, laced with pain, pleaded, "Y/n, stop..."

Unyielding, I pressed on, "Come on, tell me it's true, isn't it?!"

Steve's response was immediate and firm, "Of course not!"

Bucky interjected, his voice filled with regret, "We thought you hated your birthday!"

With a mix of frustration and longing, I confessed, "I do! But I wanted to be with you both..."

The room fell silent as everyone regarded me with a mixture of sadness and shock. Bucky, his voice filled with sorrow, attempted to console me, "Look, we're really sorry, okay?"

A sense of resignation washed over me as I uttered, "Yeah, maybe my next birthday will be fine... Oh, wait, no! It will never be fine!"

Overwhelmed, I crumpled to the floor, tears streaming down my face. Bucky, filled with an overwhelming sense of compassion, scooped me up in his arms and carried me to his room. Gently placing me on the bed, he knelt before me, his eyes filled with remorse.

Through choked sobs, I managed to express my pain, "I missed you and Mom..."

Bucky's voice trembled with emotion as he replied, "Oh, doll, I know..."

I shook my head, a mixture of sorrow and guilt washing over me. "No... I just wanted to be with you two!"

Bucky's voice cracked as he spoke, "Y/n, I'm so, so sorry..."

Realizing the depth of his pain, I quickly whispered my own apology, wrapping my arms around him in an embrace. Bucky held me tight, seeking solace in our shared grief. As Steve entered the room, the two of them left, giving me a moment of respite.

A sense of sickness overwhelmed me, and I stumbled out of the room, rushing past Steve and Bucky. I found solace in the solitude of the bathroom, where I succumbed to violent retching. Desperately, I locked the door, refusing to let anyone in.

Steve's voice carried through the door, filled with concern, "Y/n, everything okay?"

Struggling to regain composure, I replied shakily, "Y-yes!"

Bucky's voice pleaded with me, "No, you're throwing up! Open the door now!"

Defiantly, I retorted, "No, it's fine!"

Steve's voice grew more urgent, "Y/n! Open the goddamn door now!"

Despite their pleas, I stood my ground, crying out, "No!"

Bruce's voice carried a tone of authority, "Y/n..."

My voice grew more strained, more desperate, "No! Leave me alone!"

Tony's voice rang with frustration, "Y/N! OPEN THE DOOR!"

Thor's determination echoed through the room, "I will kick it in!"

Challenging their resolve, I responded defiantly, "Do it! I'm standing right in front of it. Come on!"

Natasha and Wanda, their voices filled with tenderness, appealed to me, "Hey, sweetheart, come on, open the door for us..."

My voice quivered with anger and hurt, "No, you left me alone too!"

Sam's voice, tinged with understanding, interjected, "Hey, we had to be there..."

Interrupting, I exclaimed with bitterness, "...there, I know! I fucking know, okay? What do you want from me?!"

Clint's voice cut through the tension, commanding, "To open the goddamn door now!"

Defeated, my voice softened, "Never..."

In the silence that followed, tears continued to fall, mingling with the remnants of sickness. Steve's voice, broken with emotion, beseeched, "Y/n... please..."

My heart raced, conflicting emotions warring within me. Slowly, I opened the door, the weight of the moment hanging in the air. Steve and Bucky entered cautiously, their eyes filled with pain and regret. Bucky locked the door behind them, and I averted my gaze, unable to meet their eyes.

Bucky's voice trembled, "Doll... we are so, so sorry..."

In a small voice, I replied, "Mhm..."

Steve stepped forward, his voice laced with sadness, "Y/n, we truly wanted to be here..."

Sorrow washed over me as I whispered, "I know... I'm so sorry..."

We embraced, seeking solace in each other's arms. Slowly, the heaviness in my heart subsided, and exhaustion overcame me. Drifting off to sleep once more, I found comfort within the warmth of Bucky's and Steve's embrace.